Custom Shaped PCB crashing output

Every time I try to generate an extended Gerber PCB, fritzing just sits on screen showing nothing.
However, if I go into finder (OSX 10.14.2) I find all the files except for the drill file.
Is there a log file anyware I can check to see what happening or does anyone know of a walkaround/fix for this?

My version of Fritzing and my operating system:

Frizing 0.94
OSX 10.14.2kitsune badge.fzz (31.7 KB) Screenshot 2020-02-09 at 12.05.51
Please also attach any files that help explaining this problem

If you post the .fzz file of your sketch (which will include the source of your part) Iā€™ll have a look. Iā€™m not all that good at custom shapes, but there are others here that are.

Peter

Thanks, the file has already been included in the post!.

So it is. Iā€™m obviously going blind in my old age. Iā€™ll have a look.

Peter

Thanks, I was reading the post notes and spotted it requesting the file for support help request.

Nope not solved, crashed again.

A fairly easy one, your logo svg is invalid. You likely have the original svg, I recovered it from the .fzz file using the instructions here:

That said, the svg has multiple paths in it. A logo svg can only have a single path (created by combining paths in Inkscape.) I have never actually been able to get this to work I donā€™t know enough about paths, @opera_night is the expert here. He has several how tos on this subject in the tutorials section. There are also a number of bugs in the gerber generation code Kjell fixed at least 5 of them in the 0.9.5 dev version a couple of months ago (but it isnā€™t released yet.) A search in the forum search bar for pcb logo will turn up a bunch of posts too.

Peter

1 Like

I havenā€™t been visiting this site much - received email about this post soā€¦ following upā€¦

1. Your posted file was not usable for me. If wanting my help with Graphics, post the Graphic file (the SVG. Change or, add the .SVG to .FZZ and it will upload).

2. Wonā€™t repeat what Iā€™ve posted (see my other posts as ā€œvaneppā€ stated).

3. Attached are:
    a. funky.fzz; the Fritz file with the SVG loaded.
    b. An SVG you can use as a baseline in your preferred graphics program.
    Pay attention to; layers and paths (may not upload as svg - seems Fritz changed site stuff and the svg with .fzz extension wants to upload as an svg - perhaps replacing .fzz with .svg will still workā€¦?

The SVG contains the shape with a Graphic face and Text. Also includes shape on the Silkscreen.

Added dumb circuit part to enable exporting gerbersā€¦

funkyShape.fzz (30.8 KB)

funkyShape.svg

Here is a copy of the svg that I recovered from the .fzz file:

logo.svg.fzp (9.0 KB)

Well that is ugly. The new forum software doesnā€™t appear to accept svg as fzp files as the old one did. It appears to recognize it as an svg and tries to upload it as an svg, unsuccessfully. To recover the svg above you need to both remove the .fzp and edit the file and remove the

"remove<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='no'?>

from the first line with a text editor. The ā€œremoveā€ appears to fool it in to thinking it is an fzp file. How inconvenient! Although I suppose for email notifications working again it is a smallish price to pay I guess :slight_smile: .

Peter

1 Like

I looked at the SVG file and offer couple of things to consider:

For graphic drawings, you can do most anything BUT, to be compatible with Fritzing, you CANNOT do Many things - SVG is particular about how it does the Math, how it interprets intrinsic-subtractions and, compounding that with how Fritzing manages/interprets SVGā€¦ Well best to say KEEP IT SIMPLE. Meaning, if you have, for example, things like a Head and Ears, itā€™s best to draw them as a contiguous line, not composites of Head and Two earsā€¦
Quickly redrawn to give you the ideaā€¦ below

You wonā€™t have much success with crossing lines and sharp pointed-ends with micro-fractional distance between linesā€¦

For a complex Silkscreen, consider doing the graphic and using the ā€˜Logoā€™ part and not Silkscreen.

1 Like

@vanepp @opera_night Thanks all, I will go back and redesign the source SVG file.
Has someone worked on an updated pcb design guide yet?
I did try to combine the vectors but obviously something went wrong.
Thank you again for ripping the design apart to find the issues.
I will update this when I have a redesign that works.
Thank you again.

Some additional infoā€¦

No matter the Drawing program used, some shortcomings and work-arounds will be required to use results in Fritzing. Thus, you can use Inkscape/others - just need to invest the time and interest to get thereā€¦

Below shows crudely drawn shape (I like cats) done in Inkscape (and loaded into Fritzing).
I did NOT do anything such as making it a Path. What you see is all that was needed.
I did not do the Silkscreen drawing or any detailsā€¦ that may have required making paths but, you get the idea - itā€™s about do a little, see if it works/get-it-to-work and move on to the next part of the drawingā€¦ eventually, youā€™ll know what work/doesnā€™t-workā€¦

The Drawing Programs Iā€™ve used to make PCB with shapes and cutouts are:
Inkscape
FreeCad
EZDraw
Boxey
OpenOffice (the embedded drawing program)
Gravit
Paint
PaintBrush
CoralDraw
and perhaps another handful. Look for my postsā€¦ But, recognize that most software changes some aspect that previously worked but, no longer - thus, requiring more time and trialsā€¦

1 Like

Lastlyā€¦ Perhaps I shouldnā€™t post this but, I figure eventually many folks look into alternatives to Fritzing. My favorite has become KiCad. Though a robust program, individual aspects of it are as simple to master as is/was Fritzing.

Below shows a PCB shape done in FreeCad (exported as .DXF) and imported into KiCadā€™s PCBNew program.
Could have drawn it entirely in PCBNew (it has very basic draw tools).

Screenshot shows PCB with imported DXF and the 3D-View displayedā€¦ Click image to expand full view, if needed.

1 Like

To be honest, when I know what Iā€™m doing (simple square boards) fritzing works great.
I tried KiCad nad hate the thing, and lets not ever mention eagle :frowning:

BTW the kitsune badge is a project for my electronics book Iā€™m writing and a giveaway for my novel Iā€™m writing.

I came to Fritzing by way of Geda (developer infighting , blocking progress), then Kicad (Eagle wasnā€™t in the running because it was commercial not open source, which turns out to be a good move, because it was sold to Autocad and now appears to be dying.) Fritzing was mentioned on the Kicad site (or maybe by CERN who was supporting both?) and I never looked back . Fritzing does what I want. That said, when your board needs get too complex for Fritzing you need to look at one of the more full featured packages, although with development restarting perhaps Fritzing will make progress.

Peter

I came to Fritzing after struggling with Eagle (YUK!) and (at that time) KiCadā€™s early version.

I agree, Fritzing does most everything. However, KiCad has come a long, long way and now, for me, itā€™s as easy as Fritzing.

The best part though, is it has easy-to-use embedded Footprint tools and the Edge_Cuts layer (with itā€™s drawing tools) can handle every PCB shape, including cutouts I made.
Footprints can include externally-drawn .STEP models.

Donā€™t want to dissuade Fritzing users. Fritzing works well enough.

ScreenShot

1 Like

BTW eagle isnā€™t dying, far from it.
Eagle is being rewritting and merged with fusion so that it can use fusions 3d render engine for 3d pcb views.

BTW this is part of a project that been bugging me for years and Iā€™ve started working on it as I was sick for 2 days.

The bottom pads will be soldered to a base pcb and the selector will be soldered 45 degree to the other switches.
S4 has @vanepp 4020 package design he made (thank you mate)
this pcb is only part of a controller for video editing.

Just need to work out how to edit the cherry key part to remove the bottom 6 pins.
@opera_night why does the ziff socket look strange?

Following this. When I import into OSHPark, my board is tilted 20 degrees or so. Anyone ever see this?

Check the gerber output with a gerber viewer. There are a number of bugs (Kjell fixed 5 in the development version which isnā€™t yet released, a few months ago) in gerber output relating to paths. If you upload the .fzz file (7th icon from the left in the reply menu) Iā€™ll have a look. If that is the problem you need to experiment with the paths to get it to output correctly.

Peter