Add labels on parts

Hello,
I would like to add labels for my breadboard similar to that developped with the RP2040 Fritzing model. See the red circles in the picture below.
Any suggestion to do it “easily”?

thank you
Michel

What is an RP2040 Fritzing model? A google search comes up with an Adafruit feather board, and there is this type of image associated with it, but not in the Fritzing part. @steelgoose did an svg like this for something that was referenced lately, copying what he did would likely be your best bet.

Peter

Thank you Peter for the support
Yes this is the Adafruit feather board but the image is in the Fritzing part and I think it is SVG:
https://github.com/adafruit/Fritzing-Library/blob/master/parts/Adafruit%20Feather%20RP2040.fzpz
So you do suggest to draw the labels in SVG format and then integrate it into the parts?

I also like the HiLetgo approach but having labels directly in Fritzing editor is a better help when drawing the cable in the breadboards.

No labels for me on Fritzing 0.9.6 on Windows:

One of their instructables pages has an image with labels, but it doesn’t look to be a Fritzing part. This is the part from the Adafruit repo loaded in to Fritzing. The breadboard image is an svg, it just doesn’t appear to have the labels you want. You could modify the breadboard svg and add them if you wanted. That will increase the area of the part which sometimes makes selecting things near by more difficult, but it is certainly possible.

Peter

oops I am sorry. I was talking about this model:

Ah! They have made an svg of the pins and loaded it to a breadboard logo. Hadn’t thought of doing that.

It is possible to recover the source svg from the .fzz file if you can’t figure out the format. I’ve done them for pcb before but not for breadboard. It may be in the documention for loading images.

Peter

ok well done!
But when I unzip the .fzz I see all the other svg but not the svg of the pins. Where it is?

It needs to be extracted from the .fz file. Instructions for doing so are here:

In this case you are looking for logo in the Pico-breadboard.fz file which finds:

<instance moduleIdRef="newBreadboardLogoImageModuleID" modelIndex="85441645" path=":/resources/parts/core/newbreadboardlogoimage.fzp">
        <property name="color" value="#787878"/>
        <property name="width" value="35.3"/>
        <property name="height" value="49.93322657653061"/>
        <property name="shape" value="&lt;?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='no'?&gt;&#10;&lt;!-- Created with Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/) --&gt;&#10;&lt;svg xmlns=&quot;http://www.w3.org/2000/svg&quot; id=&quot;svg2798&quot; width=&quot;1.38976in&quot; viewBox=&quot;0 0 35.327335 49.971893&quo

The “shape” property contains the html encoded svg. The vi commands undo the html encoding to leave you with this svg. Here is one recovered svg (click on it and choose “save as” and you should get the svg):

t

It appears it wants the layerId (the group for the whole svg) to be breadboard (pcb wants boardoutline as I recall.) Other than that it is a normal svg. If you put this file name in to the load image file box in Fritzing it should load the svg in to a logo ready for use.

Peter

wow! thank you Peter
I would not have it found on my own.

After reading this thread, I spotted a way to extract the svg image without going into the raw .fz file. Here are the steps, and a sample of the second image from the referenced sketch.

• Open the sketch file in Fritzing
  • Go to the breadboard view
  • Edit ¦ Select All
  • Part ¦ unselect “Lock Part”
  • Delete the breadboard, pico, and first image
  • File ¦ Export ¦ As Image ¦ SVG
    • The output of that had a bunch of transform matricies, so I followed up with
  • inkscape test.svg
  • select all
  • object ¦ ungroup «multiple times»
    • the selection was showing one odd empty filled shape extending way to the left, so I deleted that
  • File ¦ Save As ¦ Plain SVG

The result is not as “cleaned up” as I would normally do, but it loads and looks fine as a Breadboard Image in Fritzing (0.9.4). This does not have a layer id, but the loaded image exports to SVG from Fritzing again, so that does not seem to be needed.

img2b

That is a good trick! It is much easier than recovering the svg from the .fz file. I wonder if we can eliminate enough to do the same thing on a pcb with an image file loaded? Something to try when I have time!

Peter

Should be able to. As long as the image is included in the export to svg. Keep the image part, and delete everything else, including the pcb board shape.