Ventilator controller in progress, looking messy

Hi there
My first message here.
I am sharing an so far unfinished design for controlling our next design of covid-19 emergency ventilator, see https://tribun.cloud/index.php/s/mzqPWbDTTHnb4xj go into folder Ch(air) then Controller.

I am an experienced electronics engineer, but have used other CAD before. I chose Fritzing in order to make a nice looking and usable prototype board view to share. But… in board view it looks really messy and hard to follow!

The biggest problem are the capacitors that are supposed to be standing are displayed overlapping other components.

I think Fritzing really need standing component views of capacitors, LEDS, transistors, etc - and partly translucent. Wires semi translucent too. I do not have time to draw symbols myself - By the description it seem very complicated to do. Is there a good collection somewhere that may suit my purpose?

Any suggestion to make the board design better readable by little effort?

BTW, this is a competition me and a friend design this ventilator for: https://give-a-breath-challenge.innosabi.com/ In the link i gave you an find more on our odd ventilator - that actually do meet all needed specifications :slight_smile:

Best Regards
/Morgan

Welcome aboard!

If you search in the forums for “top view” there are some such components intended for use on perf board that have been made over the years. I remember making an upright capacitor for instance. As well it would probably be easier to post your sketch (the .fzz file) here by using the upload icon (7th icon from the left in the reply menu.) I’m still waiting for the link above to show me something (although at the moment my network connection is not in good shape.) It appears to have stopped transferring data with a blank screen so I can’t see your sketch.

Peter

Thank yuu i will search.

Hm, that was strange my cloud did not work for you. Please try again and if not working state your OS and browser incl version. Never heard of it not workign before. It is a NextCloud server.

Regardless, attaching the file. Ch(air)_v3-Controller_v1_040_official_unfinished-Fritzing.fzz (195.6 KB)

I found a few uprights. I see you have been busy, thanks!
Where is the best information for learning to edit parts?
My main OS is Linux.

Is some kind of transparency supported?
So we can see wiring below large components i.e electrolytic.
Or at least i can draw it like a frame only, like the perimeter of the component, and a few markings like + on capacitor anode.

Second time lucky, it connected correctly this time. The problem is likely my network connection, my telco pulled fibre in to my house, but the pull looks to have disturbed the 40+ year old cat3 that provides my ADSL connection and the ADSL has become unreliable and I haven’t managed to move to the fibre yet (I’m not sure that I can given the virus :slight_smile: .)

These two sets of tutorials apply to the latest Fritzing version, most of the others are for older versions of Fritzing (but largely still apply other than parts editor which is a late addition and not yet finished.)

Not that I am aware of. Some folks use pcb view (where unlike breadboard, you can view the board looking up from the bottom) to do perf board like layouts. If you don’t need this exact layout for some reason (such as you are trying to document a real device built on perfboard) then either perf board or the breadboards may make things easier to see. PCB view may be a better and easier bet, in that the parts are already all “top view” and you can suppress connections by View-> hide any of the various layers. Note Fritzing has a bad habit of stacking parts on top of each other so you may have to select a component and drag it to get to components under it (this often confuses new users.) Assuming breadboard is wired correctly, selecting a rats nest line in pcb and double clicking on it will make a connection (which can then be dragged to position it) to the correct pins.

This can probably be done with custom parts, but making the parts isn’t all that easy until you learn how (it took me about a year to learn enough so that I can now make parts quickly.) Feel free to ask if you need help!

Peter

Many thanks for your hints, Peter!