Seeed/ShenZhen Open Parts List

Not sure what you mean by saying that the silkscreen should be on a lower layer than copper. I believe I did change the silkscreen lines to stroke="#ffffff".

The order of the layers in the fzp file should not matter, but the silkscreen should be “behind/below” the copper graphics. Which actually means it needs to be “before” the copper in the svg file. That is do to the way svg (and Fritzing) implement search and selection from the mouse coordinates. That selection starts from the “top” layer, which means “later” in the svg file.

Since the connectors are smd, not tht, the fzp file should show only copper1 for them (in the individual connectors). Putting them on both, as I initially indicated, tells Fritzing that they are THT connectors. The copper0 is (I believe) needed for (only) the main view definition, so that Fritzing will generate holes for the circles on the (combined) copper1 and copper0 layers in the svg file.

The issue with copper bottom, is probably the copper1 and copper0 combination on what is intended to be smd connectors. Whatever connector(s) have a “GND” name will be used as seeds for copper fili / ground fill, which is separate.

We decided years ago that everything should be below connectors(higher in the XML), because it was hard to select pins when assigning them in FZ when there was an object blocking it.

If copper0 is in copper1, you put THT in copper0, and SMD in copper1. If you are doing a SMD, which doesn’t need copper0, you still put an empty copper0 in copper1 or FZ will give an error when you try to load the part.

I though the “GND” was a thing too, but it actually seeds whatever Net you select to GND seed.

I though the initial ground seed would be one that is marked as “GND”, or connected to a schematic view ground connector. That can be changed by explicitly setting a ground seed.

Yeah that’s what I thought, but in the vid I select a row of random header pins connected together, and they all seeded. GND seed is obvious, but I guess it’s so you can do a PWR plane.

I plan on getting started on the BME280 footprint but wanted to ask about another part in the pipeline, the QG-2864KSWEG02. https://statics3.seeedstudio.com/images/opl/datasheet/308020028.pdf The OLED’s PCB connector footprint is surface mount ribbon/zif cable like and 27 “pins”. Any recommendations as to what should I use as the starting point?

Make sure you do a Goo image search for the Fritzing part, or might might be wasting your time.

I assume the ribbon is for the BB view, so I would do an image search for - ribbon Fritzing. If there is one I would get that svg, mod it, and add it to my drawing. I’ve got vid tutorial here that shows you how to get other people’s svg to add to your svg.

The different top and bottom connectors were the main issue here. The edge connector case as you note needs them to be separate and this is the only way I know of to achieve that. I did realize that I could do the copper1 only smd pads but that doesn’t work for edge connectors.

Peter

Here’s my first run at the BME280lga, I have yet to install the parts checker so I’ve yet to determine what I did wrong so far: BME280lga.fzpz (4.5 KB)

P.S. #ffffff is white, #000000 is black sorry about my mistake earlier.

I see 2 ways. The way you described, which keeps copper1 and copper0 groups totally separate, then duplicates each of the connector pin (or pad) where they are actually THT, or use the standard copper0 inside copper1 for the THT connectors, and duplicate the copper0 (initially copper0a) group outside of copper1 for the top only smd pads. That way, none of the connector pins is duplicated. Just the copper0 group, one inside copper1, the other outside. Which is a one line fix (change “copper0a” to “copper0”) after finished editing with Inkscape. Instead of needing to remove that suffix from every duplicated tht connector pin.

Ran the parts checker. It seemed to be fine with the schematic. It thought that the part is through-hole due to the empty nested copper0 in the pcb. It didn’t seem to like another nested group early on in the breadboard but mine was based on a sparkfun part that worked. In the fzp, there was a locating issue that was confirmed by some messing around and freezing of fritzing. Still not sure what my error was in the 4 xml files that I text edited. However, I used the parts editor to load the 3 svgs and to create an fzp without the error and sure enough it worked: BME280r2.fzpz (5.5 KB)

As best as I can tell, the best starting footprint for the https://statics3.seeedstudio.com/images/opl/datasheet/308020028.pdf is by choosing a generic header, choosing an un-shrouded format, choosing single-row, choosing SMD, choosing 27 pins, and choosing 1.27 mm spacing. This provides: smd_single_row_pin_header_27_50mil_pcb.svg

I tried a couple SMD parts from CORE bin, and yeah, FZ does complain about empty copper0. What can we put in there that it will accept, but won’t come out on a PCB.

EDIT - I tried about 20 things - I even made a new PCB svg -, and I can’t make it not error.

EDIT EDIT - Ahh now I get it. The part is ok, it’s the PCB that it doesn’t like when you export the gerbers and there is nothing on the other side of the PCB. I switched it to single side and it’s fine.

Thanks! I’ll poke at this and see if it is a better way to do what I want. A single rename would be a lot easier …

Peter

I’ll have a look at the data sheet and see (and post) what I would do to make the part.

Peter