Part file for 7-pin OLED

I have a 0.96" OLED that I would like to use in a project but I do not see anything like it in the parts bin.

It is a 7-pin SPI monochrome display
Here is a pic

Any help is greatly apreciated
Thanks

Which features of the part are important to you?

A search in parts for “lcd” finds several displays. One of them might do if you want it for the breadboard view. The ookia6100_lcd is close for a schematic view. For something closer. you might be able to start from the generic IC chip, then configure pin counts and names.

The built in Fritzing parts library is limited to currently under 2000 parts. That is not the only place to look for part files though. A search here on the forum, in the “Parts Submit” category, for “OLED” gets a few hits. A web search for “fritzing part oled spi” finds more. One of which looks like the Adafruit I2C version of the board you showed, with follow on links to the Fritzing parts library that Adafruit created.

If none of the searches finds something useful, a image is not enough to create a new part file. A datasheet with dimensions and pinout information is needed.

The most important feature that I am looking for is the breadboard view. I did find an Adafruit fritzing library. But the OLED’s on there have very different pinouts.

I searched for OLED in fritzing and did not see anything close to this module that I am using.

I also searched the forum on in the “parts submit” and did not find anything similar. I did search the web for :oled fritzing". That is how I found the adafruit library.

Unfortunately I do not know the manufacturer of the OLED and there are np obvious markings that may help identify the part

I did some searching and found more detail on the display including a data sheet

With that extra information, a web search for “fritzing part oled SSD1306 128 x 64 Dot Matrix OLED/PLED Segment/Common Driver with Controller” found

Fritzing Project - IoT ESP8266 SSD1306 OLED Starter

The part in that is still not quite right. It only uses 4 pins. But is close (closer), and could be used as a base to create a new part without a lot of work.

Since you mentioned number of pins, I searched again and came across a similar oled file.

It uses 8 pins not 7 and the pin labels and functions are in different places.

I couldn’t find a way to add an attachment so here is a link to the part file on my dropbox

Can I reorder the pins and eliminate one so it will match the 7-pin OLED I have ?

That is quite possible.

Here is a quick adjust based on that part. This is ** NOT ** a proper part. It is functional, but the datasheet you referenced is for the controller chip. What is needed is a datasheet for the board. With dimensions, hole sizes, and offsets.

I removed the extra pin and resequenced/reordered thru-out. I trimmed the adafruit specific content from the icon and breadboard views, but those are still using the same dimensions and positions as the original part. Which is not what the image shows, but as above, I do not have dimension information. The schematic I redid from scratch. The pcb I trimmed, and eye-ball adjusted the holes and silkscreen to match the image. That is not good enough to create a PCB from. At least if the mounting holes are to be used. The connection pins themselves are (and should be) using standard 0.1 inch spacing, so that should work.

128x64 0.96 inch SPI Monochrome OLED display.fzpz (6.1 KB)

An attachment here is an “Upload”. 7th button from the left in the menu at the top of the text editing window. Or just drag and drop a (supported type) file on the edit window.

This is perfect. I looked at all the images and it is everything looks perfect.
Thank you so much!

Did you do all the editing in Fritzing or did you have to edit any of the svg images or the fzp code outside fritzing?

I just want to be familiar with the process in case I need another part that is not in the friting library

Thanks again!

Any actual image editing has to be done outside of Fritzing. With my background, I used an xml aware text editor for most of it. Both svg and the fzp are xml based. I used inkscape on the images only to open then save as to get some general cleanup. I used zip to package the collection of files into a .fzpz part file. I did not even open the parts editor.

But that is just my way, because I am comfortable working directly with xml. I get more control that way (but more ways to break things too) than using the parts editor and image editing tools.

(I was going to say usual or typical process here, but don’t really have enough information to say that is really true). Another way would do all of the image changes with Inkscape (or another program), then use the parts editor to load the updated images, connection information, and properties.

The real process for parts that are not found in the library starts with searching to see if someone else has already created the part, or something close enough to use. That close enough means being aware just what is important for your own project.

There are multiple series of tutorials on the parts creation and editing process, and the tools used for it. Of varying quality, accuracy, completeness, and relevance to the current version of Fritzing.

Sounds like I can handle that. I can edit the xlm file and have glanced at the ones you sent.

I can also use inkscape to edit the svg. It seems that it is a matter of packaging the files in a zip in the correct format.

Thanks I will look for some tutorials now that I have a better idea what is going on

I did some vid tutorials if you are interested. I added timestamp chapters so it quicker to find stuff now.

Wow this looks like a fantastic tutorial I will look at it tomorrow
Thanks!

Correct format, with the links between the files. The links being file names and various matching id values. The reference for that (the fzp file) is the Part File Format document on the application wiki. The general recommendation is to start from an existing part, copy and make changes. Just be aware that there are errors and inconsistencies in many of the existing parts, and unless you pick the starting sample carefully, it likely does not implement all of the features you might want to use. When I was learning this, I reviewed the reference for things that looked useful, then did searches (grep) across existing part files to locate samples that used those features, using both sides to create my parts. It is also easy to get things invisibly broken. Like right now, I am looking at one of the core parts that is being dropped when a sketch breadboard view containing it is exported to an svg image. Nobody notices until the right path is attempted.

Very interesting. That link will be very useful
Thank you