Mandatory Donation?

I am a fairly new user and would say that my usage is very low and will always be very low.

I paid the donation, which is less than a beer these days, built a prototype board and got the board printed online. The support forum has been great and Peter has responded each time to requests for parts. In my experience this is a very small price to pay for a great piece of software that has delivered well. I am primarily a windows/web software developer and happy to help at this level of payment/donation towards the development.

If there was a cost, for instance a monthly subscription, it would probably not be worth it for me and I suspect if users are not using it every day in their day job, that would be a huge barrier and I don’t think downloadable apps should be on subscription for users who don’t use it all the time.

I think the small donation up front is more than reasonable in this case, an by no means a barrier.

I don’t know what the alternatives are and the costs for those? would be interested to hear some feedback on that.

Fritzing is opensource, and all code is on github

If you don’t know how github works, I recommend navigating and learning the importance of a community based repository/development platform.
the releases are also available there. If you know what that means, that kind-of makes this whole thread null-and-void. Just an FYI.

All the infrastructure you see from a front-end stand-point is based on convenience, maintenance/upkeep/development. As the last time I checked website(s) are not free.

1 Like

Not a great start for my mandatory ‘donation’. My breadboard design is a very simple one; 2 main components only, but Fritzing does not appear to have either of them . . . :grimacing:

They are Arduino Pro Micro (Clone) (5v), and BME380 sensor - there is a version of the sensor but the layout is all wrong.

The current core parts include:
Arduino Micro (rev 3)
Arduino Mini (rev 5)
Arduino Pro Mini (rev 13)
Arduino Pro Mini (rev 14)

I am not familiar with a pro micro. Which one of the existing parts is closest? If it is none of them, then if you actually ASK, and supply enough details so we can tell what you are talking about, someone may have already created what you want. Or be willing to modify one of the existing parts to match. There are extensive libraries of parts that are not built into the core.

Same for the sensor. I will guess that is a breakout board of some sort. Details are needed so that we can make suggestions.

There is a (apparently not working and not fixed) part for the Arduino Pro Micro here:

It is possible that a Pro mini part (which exists in core parts) may have the same pin out. A google search for BME380 sensor doesn’t turn up much of anything so a web site of the board you want would likely help. There are various versions of the bmp 280 part around. In general a google search of the form “fritzing part Arduino Pro Micro” or “fritzing part BME380 sensor” is a good place to start (although neither are particularly successful in this case possibly due to insufficient information.)

Peter

Don’t call it then open source software