How to split a stripboard track at an existing hole

Hi All,

I am very new to Fritzing (like today). I want to uses it to document an exist stripboard for future reference. On the physical board when I want cut the track I use a tool that splits the track at one of the existing holes. When it comes to designing the board in Fritzing I can only find a method to cut the track between two holes.

Is there a method to cut the track at a hole?

Thanks

Ernie

In fritzing, Every pin on board is labeled, so you can’t cut/remove a pin/hole…

I think you cut your track like this:

So, in this case you can only leave a hole separated in fritzing, like “2”…

Capture1

@blue is correct, the cut between two hole is all that is available. Electrically (if not exactly visually) that should do what you want however. In schematic view the two circuits will be identical.

Peter

Hi Blue & vanepp,

Thanks for your quick replies, I was being stupid the way you show is the obvious way to do it and has the correct effect.

Thanks again

Ernie

Does anyone know how to accomplish #2 above (what exactly needs be done on the keyboard and/or mouse) to create that isolated stripboard hole?

In case anyone was wondering, here’s what the missing photo looked like (it shows a drilled hole on a real perfboard): http://web.archive.org/web/20170719151438if_/https://cdn.instructables.com/FOX/RUKT/H5IRWUA6/FOXRUKTH5IRWUA6.LARGE.jpg

Workaround: Create a 1x1 header to place where a drill hole should go, by first placing a 1x2 header (Core Parts > Connection > Generic female header - 2 pins), then changing “pins” from 2 to 1 (often it will be a larger number when cutting across multiple traces). The headers appear over resistors and IC’s (good), but under wires (okay). The traces still show as active, of course, so that’s not ideal, and you really have to triple-check everything.

Yes. Position the mouse on the trace between two holes on the perf board and left click. That removes the trace between holes (or restores it if it was already removed.)

Peter

1 Like

Thank you, that worked great! Still experimenting with ways of marking drill holes. My attempt here doesn’t look too great, but I guess it gets the job done, as images cover everything. I should try to make a proper part for it, then it’ll be easier to place. The trick will be whether it will still be on top of everything else.

I’m not sure why you need to do this (and I don’t think you will be successful, as wires are always on top!) Electrically, deleting the strip between holes does the same thing. It may be possible with a code change (which would be an enhancement request and be in a future release) to be able to delete a pad as well as the connecting segment, but the fact the pads are also connectors may make that impossible too.

Peter

I’m probably using this program in a way it wasn’t meant for, but my purpose here is to plan out my stripboard before I start making it. EDIT: I got a little defensive, but I realize now you were just trying to make sure I succeeded, and I do appreciate that, thanks. I think it’s probably just a misunderstanding. Got my board laid out now and I’m ready to drill. Fritzing helped!

EDIT 2: Success :smiley: