"bin" for mystery parts

How does adding a mystery part to “my bin” work?

1. I have created 2 parts from mystery part and added them to the “bin”, but they loose their label when I add them to the “bin” and then drag them out of the bin to place them? I’m missing something fundamental when it comes to creating parts, is there a 5 minute explainer for the “bin”, and how to save things and pointers on organising files?

For example I notice that all files seem to have an internal ID, so if you find an updated file, published by another person, and download the newer copy, the app says the old file is in use, so adding the new file into a sketch becomes as far I can tell impossible. So that’s also a tad confusing to deal with? I’d like to be able to use both ( versions) of a part sometimes, but it seems unable to let me do that.

1. How do I get pin names to display on a mystery part in breadboard mode? Or do I have to just go ahead and learn how to create parts, please see my previous question on this topic Video tutorials. In breadboard mode, the “Add a note” button does nothing? Confused.

2. How do I add labels to “external” net type wires that go off-board to for example power supply, while in bread-board mode?

3. I’m using a perf board, and since stripboard is impractical in Fritzing anyway, but I want to instead connect 2 pads together, like with a solder bridge instead? Is that possible? I don’t want to try using stripboard, it’s just far too much pain to use that part due to not supported use case How to split a stripboard track at an existing hole - #9 by calamari

4. is it possible at all to dead-bug your breadboard diagram to make it possible to either make underside connections or see underside of a “HAT” you might design?

This is my progress after an hour or so, would love some answers and pointers how to draw this in a more understandable way. It will be built as a one-off on perfboard. If i get any good pointers will definitely send a kofifi or other reward if acceptable.
ThermocoupleSenderPerfboard.fzz (96.5 KB)

#3 Answered in Breadboard-View adding SMALL text (Not the easiest part to find, must use search term “generic note”.)

That appears to be a bug. I would expect the label to get added to the mystery part in the mine parts bin and it is not. It should be reported as a bug on fritzing-app on github which I will do.

https://github.com/fritzing/fritzing-app/issues/3910

The workaround would be to either to export the .fzpz file and modify the label and re import it, or use the max6675 part in core parts (found from google like this for the general case which will find parts that are not in core parts as well as ones that are:

or by doing a parts search in core parts (note that not all the parts in core parts show up in the bins, so search will find parts that exist but are not in a bin!)

The moduleId must be unique for each part. The case you note should not occur with properly created parts which should have uniue moduleIds. The likely answer is that someone modified an existing part and did not change the moduleId (which makes the new part incorrect!) If you post the .fzpz files for the two parts that won’t load (or just the second one if the first one is in core parts) I’ll tell you what is wrong with them and how to fix it.

The add note button adds notes in your sketch (several in this case)

pull them apart and click on one to add text to it.

however for what you want to do the text part from core parts/breadboard may be more appropriate

In this case you need to use Inspector to add the text.

run a wire between the pads like this:

Here I left mouse clicked on the right most pad and it lights all connections to that wire in yellow indicating that there are two connections (which likely won’t work in real life!) to the middle pad.

Not in breadboard which doesn’t have a bottom capability. Typically this is done by making a perfboard in pcb view which has both top and bottom views and doing the routing there. You need to create a part for the perfboard as there isn’t one in pcb though.

Peter

Wow, that does help. Asside; As a newbie to Fritzing i was surprised how easy it was to get started, but also how some things were just a lot unexpected. Like the random crashes , appear to be when I copy-paste a part or edit an item properties using the mouse scrollwheel the updates might be too fast for QT. I am running Fritzing on a 32-core machine, although would not think that should cause it to crash randomly. So that has slowed me down a bit.

#1 Mystery part exporting - Aaah, I’ll try exporting, slowly getting the hang of how to organise things into folders, will try that again :slight_smile:

#2 Finding parts - so pretty much doing a google is how most folk do it, (just did not want to be visiting totally rando websites) . limit searches to legit looking sites.

#3 module ID’s - yes, this wa a part that someone had modified, without probably giving it a new ID. I’m just learning how these works, so not yet loaded up the parts editor…but based on what I am hearing learning to use the parts editor early on is pretty important since I’m not doing typical Arduino beginner builds.

#4 Add notes to sketch - I did find that button, and for some reason it added a whole wadge of them to my drawing, I have deleted most of the duplicates. Thanks…Aaah even better, the little text widget in breadboard view is much nicer , and it looks like a bit like a “net” overlay thingy too.

#5 I did manage to run a wire between 2 pads, it was just a bit fiddly, my eyes are a bit old I guess. Basically just being able to get to a point where I could produce a diagram good enough to work to and share in just 1 afternoon has been encouraging.

Thanks you so much for the patience and pointers Peter. And I managed to get my board soldered and working with no errors too, no more silly pencil sketches for me now! I have added a watch to that github ticket, hope I can help diagnose what is going wrong there later.

Either too fast for Qt or (because it is running multiple threads internally) a race condition. It has been seen before when changing parameters in Inspector. I think there is an issue open on github, but if I remember correctly the easy fix was to block scroll wheel on updates.

Peter