How do I name the files of my new part?

You are correct, if I drag the part into the pcb view first, then the orientation is vertical. If I drag it in to Schematic or Breadboard view, then it’s placed in pcb view horizontally. I don’t get the same with 14 pin devices through, they always seem to get placed vertically.

edit: Yes, I do get this with 14pin ICs too. I guess it’s just the behaviour of the software. I just wasn’t aware of it before.

This version number sounds like a great idea, but it’s not shown this way in the naming standards.

Do the standards need updating!? I think I’ll keep it in my parts as it makes sense, as I’m sure there will be corrections to my new part!

A version number may be a good idea. I believe that the “expectation” is that (for svg files) only corrections will be needed, that will not change the version number, or it will be a “variant”, which will have different keywords and values to make up the name. The fzp file includes a version number field, and the module_id is what Fritzing actually uses internally to tell things apart. Anything else is supposed to be handle by the “obsoleting” process.

In that note: “expectation”, “supposed”. The real world may not cooperate.

Hello,
I’ve just made a new part using my previous part as a template. But I’m getting an error to the effect of “prefix0000 already exists…”

I found the reference in line 2 of the fzp, but I’ve never took much notice of this line before. I swapped it for the part number instead and it loads without error now. Is this the correct way to do it? What is the standard way to name the “module ID” and “referenceFile” on line 2?

Yes. The moduleId needs to be unique (which is why parts editor creates the long name, which is partly time based I believe.) The reference file is only used by parts editor and then I believe only for information so you can ignore that. As well as the moduleId the family and/or variant fields in the fzp file need to be unique to the part. Parts in the same family can be swapped, so the pins need to be the same (although that isn’t currently always true in core parts I don’t think.) I usually use the name of the part as the moduleId and append a “_1” such as “4050_1” for the moduleId. The _1 is a version number, so if you need to make a correction, it can change to _2 (along with all the svg file names) and the original part can be moved to the obsolete directory to be available for old sketches (Fritzing will tell you there is a new version of the part and ask you if you want to upgrade to the new part in that case.)

Peter

Thanks Peter. Do you think it’s worth including the package info, in case there are two parts with the same number but in different packages (DIP16, 300mil, SMD, etc)?

Yes the package should be there. The various different packages each need their own part files, but that is a case where family will be the same and the variant (or a package property) will select between the available packages, as a swap will work there as the pins are identical (usually anyway there are exceptions!)

Peter

In that case, I think I’ll use the file name used in the fzpz files, then everything matches. The files were named using the File Naming Conventions, but with the version number added on the end.

Thanks for this kind information.