Mid-Mount SMD Part Creation

I have a mid-mount SMT component that I need to make for Fritzing. How do I create a part that has pads on both the top and bottom layers. Attached is a picture of the part in question.

If you know how to make parts you group the pads in copper0, and put that in another group called copper1.

I don’t think that will work here. I think he needs pads on both sides of the board that are independent (like an edge connector) and that is difficult to arrange. It think this thing needs 10 pads on top (connector0 -9) and 10 on the bottom (connector 10-19).

Peter

Correct. The part mounts on the side of the board and has pins on top and bottom. 10 on bottom and 9 on top or vise versa.

The last time we did this (an edge connector), I think we ended up with two parts, each smd one for the top and one for the bottom with alignment the responsibility of the user. I’ll poke at it in a while and see if I can figure something out, but we didn’t find a solution that worked last time.

edit:

Looks like it is possible with some limitations. The main one is you can’t flip the part to the bottom of the board which in this case should not be a show stopper (you can create the part on the bottom if you need that direction). You can’t do this in parts editor you need to edit the underlying files, how experienced are you at making parts (hint this isn;t a good first part)? This is the gerber output of a 8pin ic with half the pins on top and half on the bottom (in practice on an IC this won’t work, but for your part it will)

To do what you need you (or I) would need to move the pads on top over the ones on the bottom (which I was too lazy to do here.)

Peter

Opps, now I remember.

So you have to make 1 part with only copper1 and another with only copper0, then just stack them on top of each other.

No, this one is a single part, with both copper0 and copper1, but not grouped together in the svg. The fzp has both layers but the pins only use on layer or the other (half in copper0 half in copper1). The problem is this was how all parts were in the past and Fritzing tries to deal with that which breaks the top/bottom of the board logic (and perhaps more I haven’t found yet), but it should work for that the OP wants to do I think.

edit: a part is worth a 1000 words :slight_smile:

dip8-smd.fzpz (5.9 KB)

Peter

I was thinking about separated copper groups in one part, because I used to see it a lot in the FZ 9.2 days. If I get the time I might make a part with stacked pads just to see how to make connections to top and bottom. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks! This will be a great place to start.

I am getting this error. Should I be concerned?

issue1

Can y’all look over this part to see if you can find anything glaringly wrong?MiniHDMI.fzpz (6.1 KB)

No, it is just telling you that it has what it thinks is an old part (instead of one that we have screwed with to do what we want). It can be ignored, although your part won’t correctly change to the bottom of the board due to this, you likely won’t care.

Your fatal problem is the fzp file is incorrect, you only have copper1 and thus only have pads on one side of the board. Secondary problems (but can be ignored) are incomplete schematic or breadboard views. In addition the pads from top to bottom are offset in y which may not be correct as this image from the gerbv geber viewer demonstrates (with a corrected fzp file). Purple is bottom layer orange is top layer

If you have the data sheet for the connector I can fix this up for you if you like. This part contains the corrected fzp file which generates the above gerber output (I was too lazy to make a new part so you will need to remove your current part and restart fritzing to load this)

MiniHDMI-fixed.fzpz (6.2 KB)

Peter

Is this what you are getting when you add the part?

Yes. The red is because you don’t have enough connectors in schematic or breadboard. It should work fine in pcb like this however.

edit: I spoke too soon, there is more wrong than just the missing connectors. I ended up having to complete schematic to identify all the problems. The internal pin numbering was wrong as well. It is corrected (all of it, the missing connectors have been added to breadboard although it is not complete and schematic as noted has been completed).

MiniHDMI-fixed.fzpz (8.2 KB)

Peter