I know PNG doesn’t allow for high resolution scaling. But not all diagrams and designs need to be high resolution “scalable”! I’ve tested this with Inkscape and it works partially, but has bugs.
Creating the SVG:
- Open an existing part in inkscape
- Choose File>Import and select a PNG image of your target part. (hint, copy it from the datasheet).
- Scale the PNG into the SVG.
- Add SVG shapes overtop of each pin.
- Configure the SVG as you normally would in the XML.
I tested this and made a “PEACE IC” and it worked inside of the parts editor. It actually opened inside of Fritzing for a moment (I thought) but I can’t reproduce it (it’s buggy). See this file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1-njqPoef5AWV9WX2ktcWlYU3c/view?usp=sharing
I have heard a lot of discussion from people that “we need more parts”. This solution doesn’t produce the shiny new parts that I guess the developers intended. But it would work, and it would be functional. Adding support for this would allow people to rapidly create high quality diagrams on parts not already created.