Upgrade of Library

Had not run Fritzing for quite some while. It offered to upgrade my library, which I let it do.

I now get the following errors on startup

Unable to find the following 2 parts:

‘IchigoJamT’
at
‘IchigoJamT.fzp’
‘Raspberry_Pi_Zero_rev1.1’
at
‘Raspberry_Pi_Zero_1.fzp’

You might try a part database rebuild

Part->Regenerate parts database

and see if that fixes it. I may get adventurous and clone the latest repo (updates on Windows7 at least are currently broken) and see if it is a problem with the parts. The IchigoJamT is new this year (but I think loaded for me before). The Zero looks to be my update from a year or so ago and it used to load fine. It the rebuild doesn’t work clearing the user directories may help:

There are two user directories (with your parts and the parts database) which don’t get touched during an install (to not affect your sketchs during upgrades). On Windows they are in

c:\users\username\AppData\Fritzing\roaming\Fritzing (which is a hidden directory so you need to enable hidden directories in explorer) and

c:\Users\username\My Documents\Fritzing (where username is your windows id)

If you don’t have any parts or sketches you want to keep you can just delete those two directories and Fritzing will receate them, or you can move them aside by renaming them if you wan to keep something in them.

linux

~/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

Peter

Hi I tried Part -> Regenerate Parts Library but it failed with a message " Failed to open Temporary File" I am on a Mac with Fritzing 0.9.3.

I also did a check for updates and got an error message along the lines that the parts database has been changed so cannot be automatically updated. Cannot repeat to get the full error message as the option is now grey out. In the past, I have added parts for small resistors and other things so don’t want to delete and reinstall. Will try and find time over the Christmas break to investigate further.

Two things to try , you may want to keep a copy of the user directories which on a Mac are in

/Users/username/Documents/Fritzing/parts
and
~/.config/Fritzing

then reinstall Fritzing which will replace the parts database with the
original one and shouldn’t affect your installed parts (and if it should you have backups in the above files). Fritzing will create new copies of the user files if they are removed and will also happily accept the old ones if they are moved back in to the correct position (although if the copies are corrupt, the corruption will also return). Note that after the install Fritzing will seem to hang for a long while as it does the parts database update. Don’t decide it is hung and terminate the task, that is generally what causes database corruption, just wait until it completes. If that doesn’t work for some reason, your added parts should be in the ‘mine’ parts bin and can be exported as an fzpz file by right clicking on the part in the mine parts bin and selecting export part (which will write them to a .fzpz file). You can then safely delete both the user directories and reinstall Fritzing. Once the install is done and working, file->open->x.fzpz file will reload your installed parts again. I keep copies of all my added parts as .fzpz files outside of Fritzing just in case of a disaster. The parts database does become corrupted sometimes (usually due to an interrupted update) and one of these should fix that.

Peter