Uno and shield wiring

Hi,

Is there a common way to indicate that the shield is on top of the Uno without indicating the wiring?

question.fzz (84.4 KB)

Thanks

While I’m not sure if this answers your question, it is possible to adjust your part so that shutting off align to grid and moving that shield on top of the arduino the connections will be made.

to this

It doesn’t work at present because both sets of connectors are set to female. To make it work you need to change the .fzp file for your part to look like this:

<connectors>
  <connector id="connector0" name="A0" type="female">
   <description>A0</description>
   <views>
    <breadboardView>
     <p layer="breadboardbreadboard" svgId="connector0pin"/>
    </breadboardView>
    <schematicView>
     <p terminalId="connector0terminal" layer="schematic" svgId="connector0pin"/>
    </schematicView>
    <pcbView>
     <p layer="copper0" svgId="connector0pad"/>
     <p layer="copper1" svgId="connector0pad"/>
    </pcbView>
   </views>
  </connector>

to this change the type=“female” to type=“male”

<connector id="connector0" name="A0" type="male">
   <description>A0</description>
   <views>
    <breadboardView>
     <p layer="breadboardbreadboard" svgId="connector0pin"/>
    </breadboardView>
    <schematicView>
     <p terminalId="connector0terminal" layer="schematic" svgId="connector0pin"/>
    </schematicView>
    <pcbView>
     <p layer="copper0" svgId="connector0pad"/>
     <p layer="copper1" svgId="connector0pad"/>
    </pcbView>
   </views>
  </connector>

with that done dragging the shield over the UNO will cause the connections to be made in all views (so the wires between the parts will appear in schematic and pcb.) If you don’t want the wiring your part as is is fine as female to female will not connect. The 2mm connectors in you shield are likely the cause of the misalignment in the first image. I had to disable snap to grid to get them to align. Hope this helps!

Peter

I have made a stackable arduino shield similar to that in the past. If you do not want to modify the parts, you can get the same effect by connecting wires from and to all of the matching pins, without any bends in the wires, then move the shield on top of the arduino. When aligned, the wires become just a ‘dot’. Memory says that does not work with shield parts that have ‘breadboardbreadboard’ for the layer name, because Fritzing will not (did not with the version I was using) move that to the top layer. The arduino board might be the top.