Unable to open a Fritzing file on my Mac

Steps I took that resulted in the problem:

…I was working on a PCB for a few hours, I had everything saved already, been working on it for some days, and then all of a sudden the file crashed and closed on me, when I went to open the file again, I get this message, when it’s loading and reaches 49% loaded, this comes up… " Unable to open ‘/Users/jasonberger/Desktop/BlenderBoxPCB1.fzz’:zip.open(): %d " …This is a bummer, hours of work lost if I can’t open this file again…Please help!

What I expected should have happened instead:

…I expected to keep on working, but my project crashed.

My version of Fritzing and my operating system:

…I’m using MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.6…The last Fritzing I downloaded was on December 1st 2019.

Please also attach any files that help explaining this problem

From the described symptoms, the initial crash corrupted the zip file some way. An easy test is to try to unzip the fzz file. If that fails, it is not (any longer) a Fritzing error causing it to not load. If it can be successfully unziped, additional options are possible.

Hi, how do I publish it exactly?

Hi thanks for the reply…How exactly do I try to unzip the file on a Mac?..I was able to compress the file and then unzipped the compressed file…Is that what you mean, or is there another way?

fzz files are actually zip files (with specific Fritzing content). Some systems and tools will let you just unzip it directly. Otherwise, rename it to change the .fzz to .zip, then unzip. Test the process first with a .fzz that is working, to make sure any problems are due to the specific file, not the steps used to extract the content. The extract should create a folder with a .fz file, plus svg and fzp files depending on what was in the sketch to start with.

Ok I changed file name with .zip and when I went to unzip, I get this error message…”Unable to expand “Filename.zip” into “Desktop”. (Error 1 - Operation not permitted.)”…I did the same with a file that works and it unzipped fine…So can I still salvage my work or is it a lost cause?

Likely it is lost. At least without someone with special skills to recover data from a corrupt zip file. There are some technical ways that the code could (mostly) avoid that kind of problem, by writing the new file before erasing the old, then renaming after verification that the new version was successfully saved. You could look in the folder where the file was, to see if there is a similar named file with odd ending (or beginning). If it exists, it might be the previous version of the file. Just rename (copy) to change to end in .fzz. I do not know the internals of Frtizing well enough to know what process it goes through to save a file.

This is a Fritzing bug (they forgot to add the return code to the print statement, thus the %d instead of a number.) That said it usually means that the .fzz file is either corrupted or zero length (there have been reports of apparently properly saved, but zero length in the file system fzz files on linux before but it isn’t reproducable.) It is likely the crash occurred while writing the .fzz file and thus the data is lost (a disk being full is one possible cause of this!). For a project that you are working on for a long time it is a good bet to save a working copy of the .fzz file outside of Fritzing so you can go back to an earlier version if such a failure happens (they are usually rare though.)

Peter

Hello,
I got that message as well when I wanted to take old files.
After looking at various posts on this topic I tried one solution to open the .fzz files with a zip program. I used 7-zip and inside the .fzz here was a .fz file. I extracted this .fz file and opened it with Fritzing, and… found it there without problem!!
I did that with the 3 files that had problems and all opened ok.
However, when I saved them as .fzz files, I was still unable to open them again.
Not sure what’s the problem, maybe something in Fritzing itself, but at least I can get my files back.
I am currently on .9.6.4 release
Hope that helps

I am very frustrated after spending hours learning to create a file, now getting a message that I cannot open the file. The file is still there and has about 4K on my disk. I tried changing the extension to .ziip buy my mac will not unzip the file. I want to use this program, but not if I can never open a project I have spent hours on. Is there someone at Fritzing that can solve this problem that so many people are having? This is the error I get: Unable to open ‘/Users/billgrubbs/Desktop/Chicken Coop.fzz’: zip.open(): %d. There has to be a solution to this.

If you upload the .fzz file (upload is 7th icon from the left on the reply menu) I’ll have a look at it on Windows and see if that helps. The error message indicates something went wrong with the unzipping (as noted the error message is lost due to a formatting error.) Normally a .fzz file should unzip in to a .fz file and possible some svg files (if there are custom parts.) As far as I know this isn’t wide spread, I know of one user (a number of years ago) that ran in to it on Linux a couple of times (and he was a heavy Fritizng user) but could never reproduce it. There are folks running successfully on Macs so it doesn’t appear to be common, but it is frustrating, unfortunately also almost impossible to fix when we can’t reproduce the failure.

Peter

The fact that the files won’t re save as .fzz files (presumably in Fritzing) didn’t register with me until I reread this post. Do you happen to have the .fz and not working .fzz files still? If so could you post a copy of each? That may give us enough information to find the bug! With a (presumably OK, which we can check) .fz file that won’t store correctly as a .fzz we should be able to figure out what is going wrong.

Peter

Gunde Mega Shield.fzz (22 Bytes) chicken_coop_w_ esp8266.fzz (129.4 KB)

These are the two files I am unable to open. The above doesn’t look like the file, but what do I know?

I do hope you can help. I would really like to continue using the program.

Unfortunately no good answers. The first file is an example of the one we have seen in Linux before, a truncated output file, reason unknown:

$ od -x ‘Gunde Mega Shield.fzz’
0000000 4b50 0605 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000020 0000 0000 0000

only 22 bytes long, nothing to recover, and no indication of why it was truncated. The other file is lacking the .fz file (which is fatal) for reasons also unknown. The first file in this listing should be a .fz file which lists all the wiring. When I unzipped the .fzz file this is what I get:

capture

As we see it is missing and thus Fritzing correctly reports it can’t find a sketch when loading the .fzz file. The only things here are the 3 parts not in core parts and their associated svg files, which the .fz file would have referred to. I would guess that something went wrong with the creation of the .fz file and it wasn’t noticed. Again no indication of a reason why the .fz file isn’t there unfortunately. I have been using Fritzing on Windows and Linux for around 5 years now and have never experienced either problem. I only know of a couple of reported cases of the first failure (the truncated file) in that same time period. Sorry for no better news.

Peter