Trouble installing Fritzing on Linux Mint 19.2

Hi,

I downloaded Fritzing and extracted the tar ball. When I type ./Fritzing to start the program I get the following error:

erik@laptop-erik:~/bin/fritzing-a1ffcea08814801903b1a9515b18cf97067968ae-master-498.bionic.linux.AMD64$ ./Fritzing
/home/erik/bin/fritzing-a1ffcea08814801903b1a9515b18cf97067968ae-master-498.bionic.linux.AMD64/lib/Fritzing: error while loading shared libraries: libQt5SerialPort.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I also tried “./install_fritzing.sh” and “sudo ./install_fritzing.sh” and I also got errors:

erik@laptop-erik:~/bin/fritzing-a1ffcea08814801903b1a9515b18cf97067968ae-master-498.bionic.linux.AMD64$ sudo ./install_fritzing.sh
Copying /etc/mime.types -> /etc/mime.types.bak
Fritzing MIME types already registered!
Copying Fritzing data…
Entering fritzing/

:: INSTALLING IN SYSTEM MODE. IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME!
PLEASE BE PATIENT…

Installing Fritzing MIME types…
--------
xdg-mime: file ‘icons/x-fritzing-fz.xml’ does not exist
-
-------

Setting up default application -> org.fritzing.Fritzing.desktop
--------
– TASK ENDED SUCCESSFULLY! –
-
-------

Installing Fritzing system icons…
--------
– TASK ENDED SUCCESSFULLY! –
-
-------

Making symlinks…
Symlinks already exists! (or linking failed…)
Doing final touch…
grep: uninstall_fritzing.sh: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘uninstall_fritzing.sh’: No such file or directory
sed: can’t read uninstall_fritzing.use: No such file or directory
Activating uninstall script…
Activated!

cp: cannot stat ‘uninstall_fritzing.use’: No such file or directory
Updating databases…
Done!

They made me pay 8€ to download the software and now I’m stuck with shit that does not work. Also proper installation procedure/documentation is lacking. I am a bit disappointed.

Erik

OK,

I installed libqt5serialport5 with the command “sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get install libqt5serialport5” but still the software is not working.

When I start Fritzing I get the error message:

Sorry, we have a problem with the swapping mechanism.
Fritzing still works, but you won’t be able to change parts properties.Error 1

When I click OK the next error message apears:

Cannot read file screw_terminal_2_3.5mm.fzp:
No such file or directory.

When I click OK the next error apears:

Unable to find the following 157 parts:

I did not include the rest of the message because 157 parts are listed

This is the output of my terminal window:

erik@laptop-erik:~/bin/fritzing-a1ffcea08814801903b1a9515b18cf97067968ae-master-498.bionic.linux.AMD64$ ./Fritzing
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
QSqlDatabase: QSQLITE driver not loaded
QSqlDatabase: available drivers:
QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection ‘qt_sql_default_connection’ is still in use, all queries will cease to work.
QSqlDatabasePrivate::addDatabase: duplicate connection name ‘qt_sql_default_connection’, old connection removed.
QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection ‘qt_sql_default_connection’ is still in use, all queries will cease to work.
QSqlDatabasePrivate::addDatabase: duplicate connection name ‘qt_sql_default_connection’, old connection removed.
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
QSqlQuery::prepare: database not open
qt5ct: D-Bus global menu: no

Very Frustrating!!!

Any ideas?

Erik

Please report the install issues on the github site here (where they will be tracked):

That said it looks like the parts repository has not installed correctly. The first thing I would try is start Fritzing and then select breadboard view (any view other than the welcome screen will work) and click Parts->Regenerate parts database. This will process for a while (regenerating the internal database) and then close Fritzing. When you restart Fritzing things may be better. If not then I’d suggest deleting the current install entirely and redoing it from scratch. Since you look to have tried the install with sudo at some point, you may have root owned files that will need to be deleted as root. The uninstall script is not tested nor supported, so your best bet is to remove the Fritzing install directory with a rm -r ~/bin/fritzing-a1ffcea08814801903b1a9515b18cf97067968ae-master-498.bionic.linux.AMD64$ ./Fritzing (or the actual install directory if this isn’t it) and then do a ls -l to make sure it got deleted and there are no root owned files left over from the sudo install attempt. Do the same on the two user directories in

~/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

again using ls to make sure there are no root owned files present. After that try the install again, it is possible the missing Qt library caused a bad install. The parts are loaded from a gitbub repository and the message about the swapping mechamism not working is usually related to that. I guess I should try an install of 0.9.4 on Linux (I have it running on Windows without problem.) Fritzing development basically died in 2016 and has only restarted in the last few months, this is the first release on an entirely new distribution tool change (and as you noted documentation is lacking in most areas) so problems are not unexpected, at least there is now someone trying to fix them (and the donation is to try and fund continuing development so Fritzing doesn’t die.)

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply.

I removed the install directory and the user directories as you stated. I downloaded Fritzing again and unzipped it in /home/erik/fritzing-0.94.

I started the app by running ./Fritzing in this directory and I got the same errors as stated in my reply to my first post. I did not get the error about the libQt5SerialPort.so.5 library because I installed this library manually with “sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get install libqt5serialport5”

Also database regeneration did not work. I get the error “Database failure”.

I did not know that Fritzing died in 2016 an development was just restarted a few months ago. I have not used it for a couple of years. Sorry for my harsh words in my first post. It was just an expression of frustration due to the fact that I thought it was still buggy as hell after all these years.

When I report the install issues on the github site can I post a link to this thread in order to not retype the problem in Github?

BTW: The website fritzing.org is regularly not reachable. I get cloudflare “Error 522” and “Error 524” messages.

Erik

Peter,

FYI, I filed a bug on the github page.

Erik

Unfortunately it is still buggy after all these years :slight_smile: , but there is progress now. I’ve been trying to restart development for the last couple of years without much success, but the credit goes to the Ansler folks who run the Fritzing Fab. their CTO manged to get development restarted although as you see there are still problems.

Yes that should be fine. The development team sometimes reads the forums, but bug tracking occurs on github. For what it is worth (which is probably not much because I have a full Qt development install on my Ubuntu 18.04 box), I just downloaded the 9.4 tar ball unbziped it and ran it without problems on Ubuntu 18.04. The missing QT library is in the lib directory in 0.9.3b but doesn’t seem to be (at least in the same place) in the 0.9.4 tarball. I need to install a clean copy of Ubuntu 18.04 (without QT) and see if it installs properly there. The problem you are having may be version skew in QT libraries, the 0.9.4 release moved up a couple of QT versions, but not to the latest one and you sudo install may have gotten the latest copy of the library, In any case, loading the library is not supposed to be needed, everything required should be in the tar ball, so there may still be a bug somewhere.

Yes, it took me half an hour of getting those messages to log in to post this. The web site has suffered from years of no maintenance too, and has no staging environment, so changes are done on the live web installation by someone entirely new to the installation. My sense (because I’m just an interested helper rather than part of the development team) is that things were much worse than expected when the current team took over and it was a lot more work that expected to restart development (as noted, an entirely new deployment environment, because the previous one was apparently gone.) The web site is thought to have been hit by spambots and thus its mail reputation is so bad that email notifications no longer work (they possibly work on the server end but are discarded as spam on the receiving end.) I see as I finish this that you have reported it on github. Good, that should help as they know more about the deployment than I do.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your extensive info.

I installed Linux Mint 19.2 (with latest updates) in a virtual machine. I unzipped Fritzing to the ~/bin diretcory.

erik@mint19-vm01:~/bin/fritzing-0.94$ ./Fritzing
/home/erik/bin/fritzing-0.94/lib/Fritzing: error while loading shared libraries: libQt5PrintSupport.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
erik@mint19-vm01:~/bin/fritzing-0.94$ qmake --version

Command 'qmake' not found, but can be installed with:

sudo apt install qtchooser

erik@mint19-vm01:~/bin/fritzing-0.94$ 

On a fresh Linux Mint 19.2 install the QT5 libraries are installed:

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jul 29 12:38 qt5

When I install the missing QT5 libraries on my virtual machine:

sudo apt install libqt5printsupport5 libqt5xml5 libqt5sql5 libqt5serialport5

Fritzing runs with exactly the same errors as on my laptop.

The active QT version on my laptop is:

erik@laptop-erik:~$ qmake --version
QMake version 2.01a
Using Qt version 4.8.7 in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
erik@laptop-erik:~$ 

Although QT5 seems to be installed:

erik@laptop-erik:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu$ qtchooser -l
qt4-x86_64-linux-gnu
qt4
qt5-x86_64-linux-gnu
qt5
erik@laptop-erik:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu$

Erik

You shouldn’t need Qt installed. The tar ball is supposed to have all the Qt libraries you need, and qmake (AFAIK) is only needed if you are building from source, it shouldn’t be needed to install the tar ball. I’ll have a better search of the tar ball I have that runs and see if I can figure out where I’m getting libQt5PrintSupport.so.5 from and/or where it is in the tar ball. Fritzing 0.9.4 is using Qt 5.9 I think and Qt4 support was dropped, I have something like Qt5.11 installed on the Ubuntu system to build with and that works fine. I see I ran in to the “problem with the swapping mechanism” problem on Windows in early Feb this year while working on the fixing the 4000 series multipart parts in core (tspans in the parts in core were breaking the build on Qt5.11) unfortunately it isn’t clear what fixed the problem, even reinstalling completely didn’t do so, so I expect I had broken something in the 4000 series parts. I have a copy of the broken files to look over if I ever get time, but did eventually get it sorted out and the parts were replaced in core. That shouldn’t be the problem here because the core parts repository should be correct. I’ll see if I can figure out where the libraries are in the tar ball to see if the libQt5PrintSupport.so.5 should be in there somewhere. A

find ./ -name “libQt5PrintSupport*” -print

on the 0.9.3 install directory finds a couple of copies of the library including libQt5PrintSupport.so.5 (which I expect is a simlink to libQt5PrintSupport.so.5.6.0 as Qt5.6 is what was used on 0.9.3b) but the same find on the 0.9.4 directory finds nothing and the lib/ subdirectories where I’d expect to find them are empty. It is possible the tar ball is finding them on my system because of either the Qt install or the previous 0.9.3b install, or that they are somewhere unexpected in tht tar ball (although find should find that.) I’m not all that familiar with the new build setup yet so they could be there just in an unexpected place.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank for your clarification, this is really helpful. I got some comments from KjellMorgenstern on github and it looks like we’re on the right track.

To avoid cross posting, any further postings will be done in the github topic concerning this subject.

Thanks a lot,

Erik

You might have something else causing this issue…

I’ve setup a VM of Mint 19.2 fresh, fritzing DID NOT execute the install script properly, in-fact that failed miserably. BUT the fritzing application 0.94. Downloaded from GitHub, it does run and seems to work just fine with 0.9.4. So this might be more of a specific issue with this individuals system.

I’ll keep this VM around for a bit if something else needs tested with mint… IE; install script.

Interesting! This discussion has moved to github here:

where Kjell thinks if Qt wasn’t installed as part of something else, then libraries need to be added. I pointed out there that 0.9.3b had all libraries included. Installing some of the Qt libraries fixed the OPs problem.

Peter

I see this discussion… BUT again, I don’t see a BUG here… aside install script.

IE I cann’t replicate nor confirm this exists. Aside it works as planned on a fresh VM.

IF it did I would have confirmed VIA BUG listing, github

If the Qt libraries aren’t included in the 0.9.4 tar ball, I think that is a bug as we will see more complaints like this one, but I don’t know enough about the new install to know if the libraries are there just in a different place. On another topic, does a 0.9.3b on linux upgrade to 0.9.4 automatically? Windows 7 did so automatically , but Ubuntu 18.04 lts does not. Even if I click “check for updates” it says there are no updates available. So I had to manually install a tar ball to upgrade. I have only the one linux box, so I don’t know if this happening to others.

Peter

I faced the similar installing problem of Fritzing on Linux OS. Then I thought it was drivers problem and updated system drivers but could not be solve the problem. I tried many possible processes but could not be solve. Then I decided to contact laptop repair service center because expert technician can be solve problem.

More details needed to help.

Which Linux OS? Which Fritzing version? (0.9.4 is the latest, unless doing full build of dev branch) What did you try? What were the error messages?

The install scripts are known to be broken (I have a fix sitting in a PR for at least Ubuntu and Fedora which has not been approved yet), but the program should run fine from directly from the folder. Given a fairly basic Linux environment with desktop.