Solder pads directly on top of via?

To save space - I would like to place a solder pad directly on top of a via.

Can I do that?

I tried a simple set of connections through a via and solder pad placed like this - but it does not seem to provide thru connection Is it an issue of manufacturability and reliability of solder pad once the via is drilled and filled?

thx

While I’m not sure I understand your question (and I rarely make boards), if you are looking for a larger pad on the via, you can change the hole size and ring thickness in Inspector. This is the default via:

Capture

below it is a standard via that I modified to be an IC pad by changing to inches, setting the hole size to 0.035in (standard for ICs, a .1 header is 0.038in) and a ring thickness of 20thou (again standard) or 0.02in. As noted change the hole diameter to 0.038 to be able to fit a .1 header pin in to it:

Capture1

Does this do what you need of have I indeed misunderstood your question?

Peter

Thanks, Peter; I am indeed making boards & some progress with Fritzing. I had not considered trying to solder directly to the via. If that works - that would be a solution. I’ll give it a try.
thx

It should work, but it will only be in PCB, it won’t reflect in to breadboard or schematic (which a part would.) If this is for something like a wire, you may want to consider replacing the via with a 1 pin header (Inspector will let you set the default 2 pin header down to 1 pin) which will produce a connection in breadboard and schematic as well if that is important to you. In PCB it will appear as a pad (by default with a hole size of 0.038in) and in schematic as a single pin and breadboard as a 1 pin header, I think you can change the hole size in Inspector as well (I haven’t ever had an occasion to do it but I think it is possible.)

Peter

Yes you could do that. But when you close the via with a solder pad, it might be expensive to manufacture this reliably.

By “it does not seem to provide a thru connection” , do you mean that Fritzing did not automatically create a connection of the via and the part, like in the video below?
connect