SMD Chip forced to bottom PCB layer

Hi,

I’m trying to create a custom Fritzing part for an SMD chip (MK20DX256VLH7), and seem to have generally succeeded; it’s the right size, and connects in various views properly. However, the part will only attach on the bottom layer of the PCB and I want it on the top. Changing the layer in the object information palette doesn’t help, as this simply snaps back to ‘Bottom’.

I am assuming that I have probably done something wrong in the process of creating the SVG for it. In desperation I have tried changing the SVG so the pads are all in group copper1 rather than copper0 which had no effect.

I realise in some ways it’s irrelevant which is top and which is bottom, however the copper fill goes on the bottom, and frankly I’d rather have it the right way up so it integrates properly with other parts as I put them on. I’d be really grateful if someone could point out where I’m going wrong.

Many thanks

Dave

SCG File: http://1drv.ms/1pCC0DR

Hi Dave,
Please make sure that the PCB board is set to double-sided (which is the default). Otherwise Fritzing will automatically slap it onto the bottom, because it’s the only side with copper on it.

Hi Andre,

Unfortunately, it’s already defined as double-sided. For good measure, I grabbed a random core part (a resistor as it happens) and put it on the board, it was quite happy to swap sides.

Ta

Dave

Ok, can you upload the full part here (.fzpz)? Simply export it by right-clicking it in the parts bin.

Hi,

Unfortunately as a new user I can’t upload the part here. I can link to the cloud storage it’s on though: http://1drv.ms/1RrKlBR

Many thanks

Dave

Here you go! For some reason, inside of the SVG all connectors were on copper0, while the fzp was referencing them on copper1. Now it’s all copper1 and seems to be working. :slight_smile:

NXP MK20DX256VLH7.fzpz (16.7 KB)

Hi Andre,

Many thanks for that. Any ideas how I managed to make that happen, so I don’t repeat the problem?

Many thanks again

Dave

Hmm, the mistake was in the PCB SVG. So depending on how you created it, maybe you accidentally named that layer copper0 instead of copper1? Just a guess though. Could also be an issue with the parts editor.

Btw, I’ll try to enable file upload for first-time posters, couldn’t find a switch for it yet…

This wasn’t a bug, but operator error. The pcb svg in the custom part was incorrectly placed the part in the copper0 group (as opposed to copper1) and thus the part appears on the bottom of the board. If you have a part that behaves similarly please upload the .fzpz file for the part and I will fix it (upload is 7th icon from the left in the reply menu.)

Peter