Schematic not displaying as it should

Hi Peter

Please could you advise me on the dilemma of my schematic not displaying on the Fritzing Schematic view correctly (on the left), yet when editing in Parts Editor the schematic displays correctly (as drawn in Inkscape)? Is there an old file Fritzing is calling up somewhere?

Also Fritzing has now started reporting “unable to load part” for all my parts, I had to manually edit the “my_parts.fzb” to get the part to be visible and to work properly… Wierd?

Kind regards

Glenn

Assuming this is a generic IC, in Parts editor try File->Save as new part (which will write your part to the mine parts bin) Then edit the part in the mine parts bin and replace the schematic and it will likely work. What is likely happening is that Fritzing thinks this is a generic IC (because the family in the fzp file is generic IC) and the parts factory is substituting a standard schematic in place of the one you specified so it can change the part labels (I just ran across a case of this a while ago.) Exporting the part divorces the new part from the parts factory and the substitution no longer takes place. The eventual solution will be to fix the parts factory but that is likely a ways away yet and this works now :slight_smile: .

This likely indicates corruption in the user directories. If you don’t have a lot of local parts just clearing the directories will work (Fritzing will create new ones when it doesn’t find them). If you have local parts, then the best bet is to right click on them and specify Export part which will write them as a .fzpz file which can be reloaded in to the cleared user directories via File->Open->part.fzpz . I do this as a matter of course with all new parts so I have a backup outside of Fritzing. The directories are here (depending on operating system):

There are two user directories (with your parts and the parts database) which don’t get touched during an install (to not affect your sketches during upgrades). On Windows they are in

c:\users\username\AppData\Fritzing\roaming\Fritzing (which is a hidden directory so you need to enable hidden directories in explorer) and

c:\Users\username\My Documents\Fritzing (where username is your windows id)

If you don’t have any parts or sketches you want to keep you can just delete those two directories and Fritzing will recreate them, or you can move them aside by renaming them if you wan to keep something in them.

linux

~/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

Mac

/Users/username/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

Peter

Hi Peter

Nope didn’t solve it. However I have noticed Fritzing has put 3 “Mine” “My Parts” bins into the browser. Take a look at the top one and the two at the very bottom of the browser, yet when parts are imported they all are saved in the one c:\Users\username\My Documents\Fritzing\my_parts.fzb file.

I think this is the problem why I can’t import parts to the “Mine” bin. The question is how do you get rid of the other two “Mine” bins at the bottom as I’m unable to delete them.

Kind regards

Glenn

Hmm, I’d be inclined to clear the user directories, but you might also look at

Documents\Fritzing\bins

mine contains a single parts bin, I suspect yours has more than one.

Capture

If so keep a copy of the current directory (in case of problems) and try deleting the extra .fzb file. If there are problems restoring the original directory should clear them. You might also search the forums for “multiple mine parts bins” as I seem to remember someone having (and solving) this problem in the past.

Peter

Hi Peter

I see your logic, but I had no other my_parts.fzb occurrences. Wierd I know…

My solution was to completely delete Fritzing from my system and erase all of the registry entries using “Revo Uninstaller”, plus the two extra directories created by Fritzing. Then installing again solved the problem of importing parts.

So I think it has something to do with registry entries… Maybe?

With regards to the parts being imported, yes they work but, they still display incorrectly. The whole point of this was to reduce the display size of the schematic but for some reason it won’t. As you saw from the previous images, the text aligns to the left while the bounding box is too large. Yet in the parts editor the image displays correct?

I’ve checked the schematic.svg and it doesn’t have a generic IC tag. I’m lost… Maybe this is one of those ‘bugs’ or “Gremlins” you was talking about. :grin:

Kind regards

Glenn

I’m not sure Fritzing makes any registry changes (but I’m not sure it doesn’t either :slight_smile: .) I suspect it was the combination of removing the user directories and reinstalling Fritzing that fixed it. That creates a clean Fritzing install which usually works.

This matches with the parts factory bug. The generic tag will be in the family name of variant fields in the fzp file not the schematic svg. The best bet is to export the broken part as a .fzpz file, then unzip that and add the new schematic svg with a -new in the file name then re zip the whole lot as a .fzpz file. The new forum has troubles with svg files and I think this should get me the not working part with a copy of the new schematic svg (which may be identical to the current schematic svg if I am correct about parts factory playing around but better safe than sorry :slight_smile: ) With that I can look it over and see what is happening and how to fix it.

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for the insight, as always a fountain of knowledge.

Funny you should say about the .fzp file, I did look at file for the “generic IC tag” but it wasn’t in there? I had exported the part as mentioned, re-zipped and then re-imported but it produced the same result.

If you could take a look at the .fzpz file, that would be great!

14 STAGE BINARY COUNTER OBLONG.fzpz (9.0 KB)

There is an issue with the schematic when you rotate it within the main schematic window from its original position, as a result the text moves from its origin, what causes this “rotational shift” ?

Kind regards

Glenn

Old memory :slight_smile: the problem is the editable pin labels property that is tripping the Parts factory code. Disabling that fixes the problem: In the

part.CD4060BE_dip16_300mil_oblong.fzp

file changing

<properties>
    <property name="chip label">CD4060BE</property>
    <property name="hole size">0.030in</property>
   <property name="editable pin labels">true</property>
   <property name="family">14 STAGE BINARY COUNTER</property>

to

<properties>
    <property name="chip label">CD4060BE</property>
    <property name="hole size">0.030in</property>
   <property name="editable pin labels">false</property>
   <property name="family">14 STAGE BINARY COUNTER</property>

fixes both problems. The rotation issue is part of the parts factory bug as well I believe. This part appears to behave correctly (you will need to delete your current part to load this one as I didn’t change the moduleId):

14 STAGE BINARY COUNTER OBLONG-fixed.fzpz (9.4 KB)

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks so much, simple once you know how. :smile:

I’m learning slowly.

Cheers

Glenn

This one is a recently discovered bug. I hadn’t known about it before that.

Peter

Hi Peter

About GerbV, do you know if v2.7 is available in an .exe for windows.

I have explored the gerbv-2.7.0.tar.gz zip file which needs to be built using CYGWIN with additional files from www.gtk.org (having read the README-WIN32.TXT).

I wouldn’t have a clue how to do this…

Anyway, having solved the “parts family” issue on my own, onto SMD part design, wish me luck :laughing:

Cheers

Glenn

No, I’m still running 2.6a which is likely quite old (and must have been available as a binary, because I didn’t build it I don’t think.) SMD is fairly easy, there is only the copper1 layer (no copper0.)

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for the copper0 hint, I nearly forgot.

I found a page on a website call SourceForge that has various portable versions of GerbV v2.7. I scanned the file for viruses and nothing found. Maybe give it a go, see what you think. I’ve left the link below:

GerbV v2.7 for Windows
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gerbv-portable/files/

Kind regards

Glenn

Thanks! I’ll grab a copy.

Peter