Repetitive downloads don't work on Win10

Hello all. Today I downloaded several times the latest version of Fritzing 0.9.3b.32. I unzipped it many times, even as an administrator but it freezes when started up. What to do?

Wait. It is checking for updates and downloading them. It can take a few minutes depending on your system. On linux its about 1 minute but I saw a friend with Win10 open his and it took 10 minutes or so.

There are a couple of possibilities: by freeze does Windows say that Fritzing is not responding and offer to close it, or is it just not doing anything? If it isn’t apparantly doing anything, just wait, it goes to github to do an update of the parts library without any progress bar or other indication and sometimes that takes 5 minutes or more before completing. If the not responding message comes up you may have a corrupted data base file in which case deleting or renaming these two directories may clear the problem. There was one report lately from a Win10 user that Fritzing froze on file open that I don’t think we every found a cure for, hopefully this isn’t your case and the fix below helps.

There are two user directories (with your parts and the parts database) which don’t get touched during an install (to not affect your sketchs during upgrades). On Windows they are in

c:\users\username\AppData\Fritzing\roaming\Fritzing (which is a hidden directory so you need to enable hidden directories in explorer) and

c:\Users\username\My Documents\Fritzing (where username is your windows id)

If you don’t have any parts or sketches you want to keep you can just delete those two directories and Fritzing will receate them, or you can move them aside by renaming them if you wan to keep something in them.

Peter

Hello Vanepp - yuo were on the spot right. I got the “…does not respond … wait … shut down…” message. And of course I shut down the process.
Following your advice, now I just waited and let it go. It downloaded a lot and now it works. It just had a problem with the latest database and that gave an error at 100%. I’ll check that tomorrow. Now it is time to hit the sack. Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Henk

Thanks! Waiting is the keyword. Pity there is no progress indication, that would make my question unnessecary.

Regards,
Henk

Hello Peter

On my notebook (win10-64 bit) everything worked out fine. Gave it enough time and it was OK. Even “new database” was downloaded and installed.

My desktop pc (win10-32bit) finally loaded the program and installed it. However, it will not download the “new database” that it sees after checking for updates. I did remove the two folders, you mentioned.

Any ideas?

regards,
Henk

This is a new failure again :slight_smile: , it is trying to make a network connection to github to get the updates, so checking that networking is OK would be a good bet, trying to access githun.com via the web browser to make sure you can get there for instance. If it doesn’t hang (just doesn’t update) you might try clicking Help->Check for updates in Fritzing as sometimes I’ve seen the automatic updates request not work (i.e. there are updates available, but they don’t download til a manual check for updates.)

Peter

Good morning Peter
I opened Github in my browser and opened a few pages - no problem.
I opened Fritzing and clicked manual update:

• clicked “update parts”
  • response: “…not responding”, just waited;
  • response: Sorry, unable to download new parts.

Is the update suitable for a 32-bit OS?

regards, Henk

I don’t know the solution but as a work around you could copy your Fritzing user directory from your 64bit install to your 32bit machine.

I just fired up my very old and slooow :slight_smile: EEEpc laptop which runs Win7 32 bit and after a very long time it successfully did the parts update so it doesn’t look like there is a problem on 32 bit (I wouldn’t expect one, the parts are system agnostic but you never know til you test :slight_smile: ). I suspect sublimeartistry’s suggestion is probably your best bet, although you would likely need to copy C:\fritzing\fritzing.0.9.3b.64.pc\fritzing-parts across (that is the core parts data base) as well as or instead of the user directories. Again this is the first time I’m aware of a problem like this.

Peter

Hi Peter - Could McAfee anti virus kill the download? On the other hand, I have that on both machines active.

regards, Henk

Thanks, good suggestion, will try that.

regards, Henk

Are you waiting 20 - 30 min for the download? Some people reported 30 min.

I wouldn’t think that McAfee would object as it is only image files not executables I don’t think. It may be worth a try to disable McAfee and try the download. Another suggestion which might help is to enable the debug log (help->Enable debugging log) which opens a debug log window. I’ve never known it to help in hangs (it usually doesn’t report anything useful) but it may in this case. I just tried it and it reported this (on my up to date system):

http://fritzing.org/download/feed/atom/windows-64bit/?version=0.9.3b.04.19.5c895d327c44a3114e5fcc9d8260daf0cbb52806&sysname=Windows&kernname=NT&kernversion=6.1&arch=x86_64&sysversion=7%20&pid=85eb98cd2a7df648a2f657e0d4329ebeF%20Server%202008%20R2%8
http check new version
http check new version no error

before reporting no new version and no updates so it may say something when it fails if we are lucky.

Peter

Hi Old_Grey - yes I waited as long as it took.

Hi Peter

This is my log I just made:

http://fritzing.org/download/feed/atom/windows/?version=0.9.3b.04.19.5c895d327c44a3114e5fcc9d8260daf0cbb52806&sysname=Windows&kernname=NT&kernversion=UNKNOWN&arch=i386&sysversion=UNKNOWN&pid=38e2f834187d7cead114516f8afe9fea
http check new version
http check new version no error
ff checkout failed

The process ends with the message “Sorry, unable to download new parts”

regards, Henk

Hopefully someone on here (because I don’t :slight_smile: ) knows what “ff checkout failed” means. Its pretty obvious that’s the problem but I don’t know what would cause it. Just to make sure, you have tried deleting both Fritzing and the two user directories and reinstalling (I think you said you had done so earlier)? This sounds like corruption in the parts database somewhere.

Peter

There were reports of anti-virus stripping file when 9.3 came out, but that was for the install not working.
I also remember a W10 problem were some updates stopped FZ, but I think that was install as well.