Please FIX missing dll error message [SOLVED]

Please FIX missing dll error message on the windows 32 bit version

I joined the forum only to post one message.

When downloading Fritzing 32 bit for windows…
I received the fritzing.0.9.3b.32.pc.zip file
after unzipping I tried to run the program on my
Windows XP computer and received a error message.

Missing DLL

When the error message should have said
"redistributable libraries of Visual C++ are required"

============================
After three days of searching (wasting my time)
I found that this issue has been wasting everyone
time for nearly 8 whole years !!!

And for many, they would have given up and never
even tried your software due to one error
message that doesn’t give a solution.

The solution was found in this 8 year old message:

TerryKing 7 years, 10 months ago

I had same " application failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect" error. Had to install Windows C++ libraries from here:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/d/9/dd9a82d0-52ef-40db-8dab-795376989c03/vcredist_x86.exe
Suddenly the error was gone!!!

The problem isn’t the MISSING dlls… the problem is the error message
says a file is missing when the Fritzing error message should say that
" Fritzing 32 bit requires the Microsoft C++ libraries
and goto this/pinned url to see the solution"

Please consider fixing this issue… thanks

When installing a Linux program the installing process finds/corrects and installs dependent/required files.

The real correct way to fix this is to do the same for the windows installer; the windows Fritzing installer should ( check if there is a access to the C++ libraries or just have a popup choice to install the dependent/required C++ libraries )

This is how other software installers make sure that the C++ libraries are installed during the installation process.

They don’t have a error message saying that a file (that is not included in the download doesn’t exist). A error message saying that a file is missing sounds like the download or install process (isn’t one) failed to install a file.

When in fact, the missing file is not missing… it was never installed.

At the very least create a readme.txt file that says:
Manual install method.

1. Download Fritzing
  2. Download windows C++ libraries here http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/d/9/dd9a82d0-52ef-40db-8dab-795376989c03/vcredist_x86.exe
  3. Install C++ libraries
    4a.
  • UnZip Fritzing
  • Goto the fritzing folder for example fritzing.0.9.3b.32.pc
  • Select all files and folders in the fritzing.0.9.3b.32.pc folder
    and Right click and choose COPY
  • Goto C:\Program Files and make a new folder called fritzing
  • Goto the C:\Program Files\fritzing folder and right click inside
    the empty window and choose paste from the menu to paste
    all the fritzing files and folders to the C:\Program Files\fritzing
    folder.
    4b. (take more skill, most windows people can not do this)
  • UnZip Fritzing to C:\Program Files\fritzing.0.9.3b.32.pc\
  • Rename the folder from fritzing.0.9.3b.32.pc to fritzing

In the windows explorer go to C:\Program Files\fritzing
and RIGHT CLICK on fritzing.exe and drag the fritzing icon to the desktop
and release the RIGHT mouse button… then left click on
create shortcut here… to create a shortcut to the Fritzing exe program.—

I have tried your software because I needed to draw out a simple debouncing Series switches and each of the switches have off/on led indicators.
I don’t know anything about electronics and thanks to your software I was able to drag and drop connections until the solution became clear to see.

For me, I only needed this software for this one thing and it worked very well and it is my hopes that more standard parts will be added and that it will become the best one day.

My wish list:
1 - dupont pin headers 2.54mm spacing between pins
( good for breadboards, RAMPS, arduino projects )

2 - Ground and power source to be included in the Breadboard options

3 - Option Button on Breadboard/schematic/PCB windows that would
highlight wires/ratsnest that are not attached at both ends or some other solution: I created on the breadboard then adjusted in the schematic and used the auto-route in the PCB and when I returned to the breadboard a lot of the
wires that I had drew were still there even though they were removed in either the schematic or PCB windows…

Lastly, I would like to thank you for having a forum where strangers like me can post and let you know our experience for first three days using your software.

Good solution. I’ll look at putting it in, although it is unclear when there will be a new release there is now some new development happening.

Already there (although dual rows are currently broken).
First icon in core parts bin->connectors. Drag a two postion connector in to any view then use inspector (lower right window) to change the number of pins, and type (male, female, shrouded) and size (although 2mm is also broken in pcb view the footprint is too large).

Also already there, in breadboard the power has to come from something, so just above the connector bin there is a power bin with batteries and various plugs that will supply the power to breadboard. There are also barrel sockets that connect to wall warts (but so far no wall warts, although I will at some point make one).

Peter

They are not broken. When you use a dual row header on a PCB you most often are using the rows for different things. But if you used a dual row in a breadboard it would short the 2 rows together thus making it 2 redundant rows which is effectively the same a single row header. So to use the breadboard for prototyping and then make a real PCB you must have a single row (double the length) in breadboard to represent a dual row on a PCB. The same applies to the logic in the schematic view, it shows a single double length row of connection points for double row header.

The dupont pin headers single row is easier to make I would assume and it would be more useful…

the DUAL ROW option doesn’t work on a breadboard if it has more than 10 pins… In order to have a 20 pin DUAL shrouded on a breadboard the base would have to be wide enough to span the middle of the breadboard… yet in the pcb view have a normal DUAL footprint…

Well this is my guess…

When I tried to change a 10 pin dual to a 10 pin single row… the image
wasn’t reflected in the breadboard view or I did something wrong. LOL

===========================

Thanks for considering adding a readme.txt file in your next version…
To bad you just couldn’t copy my text and create a readme.txt and then
re-zip the current version to include a text file of install instructions.

Secondly, there are free windows installer programs that will create
a windows installer that will prompt the user to include installing
external applications such as the C++ files. I hope, that you will consider such a tool.

Years ago I used the installer shield… it was easy…

Thanks Peter, it looks like I just have to look around a bit more to find what I needed.

As for the external battery it would be nice if it was rotated 90 degrees so that it can be placed off of the bread board (giving access to the whole bread board.

And the red and black wires to extend in such a way that the rotated batteries would have a longer wire so that it would be easy to attach the batteries to the
neg and positive rails of the bread board.

I am a LAZY programmer … if it was me… in the breadboard window
I would just LIGHT UP or highlight all the POS and NEGATIVE rails on the breadboard… no image of batteries… but have a image of the battery supply in the Schematic and PCB view… just so it is there.

I really wish I was younger and remembered my programming this would have been something that I would have loved to be a part of. I know how much work you have done… and appreciate it. It is very impressive… to say the least.

My head hurts… ha ha

But yes, the dual rows need to have pins that can span the middle of the board in the breadboard view and look and act as expected in the other views.

Thanks for your prompt feedback…

That is why I asked for a SINGLE Dupont header to be easy to find as it solves
all issues… for the new user within their first three days.

I guessing I was actually asking for the most COMMON things that a new user would use to be added to your Core Parts > Basic

I have to go… I wish you all the very best… great job

Just in case I wasn’t clear…

I am a old man that feels productive if I manage to clean my kitchen in a whole days time… it is very difficult for me to do anything at this age.

When I say that I couldn’t find this or that… but I was able to create a circuit successfully within hours of using your project that is remarkable…!!!

And to have a forum and great support and prompt replies…
I must say that I am very very very impressed.

Sorry I didn’t read all of the above.

Breadboard view is a bit of a mishmash. Originally it was probably for children to do what they see so it had to real world, i.e. if it’s not 2.54mm pitch the FZ part shouldn’t be able to fit any of the boards. Basically you can’t use a double row header on a breadboard, but because it also does pref/strip board it should have double row. Pref/strip board should probably be removed from BB view and moved to PCB view.

I suppose you could make a Dupont ribbon cable so long as it is dead straight.

I have come to the conclusion that they are in fact broken as they stand. Yes on the breadboard they are not useful, but as but one counter example the PI zero (or any of the other PI parts and many other mcu boards) uses proper dual row headers (probably made internally from 2 singles I will agree) profitably. It looks like the real board looks and you can run wires to it from either the breadboard or probably more usefully other modules. We should fix the current implementation to be able to generate proper (and thus properly connector numbered which is the pain with two single headers) parts for breadboard to make generating a part like the PI easier, at least in my view.

Peter

Me too. I’m old and retired (although I have been both a hardware and software person for 40+ years before that). I didn’t make Fritzing, some very smart folks at a university did as a funded research project til funding ran out but as you note they did an amazing job and the source is available if we want to improve it.

Peter

Again, already done. Right click on the battery part and choose rotate 90 clockwise or 90 counterclockwise and away it goes. Most things you want to do have been thought of and there is a way, it is just sometimes exciting to find it :slight_smile: .

Peter

My brain just can not program anymore… heck I doubt that I could figure out how to clear the buffer after a printf command.

I spend most of my time in a facebook group called
3D Printer Builders/Designers

And I ended up here because I wanted to put all my limit switches on one pin with led indicators… it turns out my circuit was fine… however, there wasn’t enough mA to run 8 leds on one pin.

We use a arduino with a RAMPS board to control the 3 axis and up to two extruders.

So now that I see that you have added arduino I am sure that many people will find that to be an asset to their hobbies.

If I was younger and still able to program I would include ohms law into the parts / program so when students plugged in the parts they could see the power resistance voltage values etc… this would in my mind attract a lot of people that understood the math but didn’t want to do so much math…
However, the amount of work to create such a software would be vast.

For me, it is perfect it help me so I can drag wires around and find a wiring route that didn’t require jumpers.

It is also good for someone that wanted to make their own PCB
I am sure that I will make a PCB just because of this software.

take care everyone

Well, it is a good solution, but I think there is a problem. It doesn’t appear to be Fritzing that is issuing the message, I think it is internal to Windows when it can’t find the dll and thus Fritzing doesn’t have control of the contents of the error message. I’ll have to unistall the C runtimes on one of my Windows boxes and see if I can reproduce the problem (ugh! then I’ll have to set up a QT and build environment on Windows too …). Some good news though, I think I have managed to fix the issue when a part is corrupted by swiping some code from elsewhere and patching it in to the area where the seg fault occurs on head. It appears to work on Linux so I’ll try a push and see if saner (and more experienced) heads agree it is a valid fix. On to the parts manager / export bug where it doesn’t delete the files it said it did.

Peter

Let me know what the solution was… just because I am curious whether they decide to do a readme.txt that suggest installing the C++ files or if they actually make a windows installer that prompt the user to install the C++ libraries.

The thing is this, back in the MS-Dos days we would download and click on the program exe when we wanted to use the program.

Since windows, the windows people expect a windows installer to install the program to the C:\programs files\folder and create a icon on their desktop… and if a library is required the install program prompts to install it… (note: it doesn’t hurt to install it anyway) however, the windows people expect to be ASKED before external programs/libraries are installed.

So the easiest way, is just to run a very simple installer program that ask about 5 questions like the ones mentioned above … and creates a windows install script.

But, I would have been just as happy to see a readme.txt file that just gave a list of how to install it manually…

I am very curious, and looking forward to discover what solution is chosen as it has been 8 whole years of people downloading and seeing the dll missing and thinking that your download server has corrupted the files…

Take care

If you are annoyed with the error messages caused by damaged DLL files then you need to make use of Reimage Repair Tool. It is one of the advanced software which has been designed by the technical experts. It will not only help you to fix DLL errors but also enhance the PC performance, clean registry entries, remove suspicious threats etc. So, you can download the trial version of the software to check its working efficiency.

I’m really bored with these dll errors I get every time I install something or just the Win is updating. But now I found the safest site DLL Installer and downloading all the files safely and install them to fix my annoying errors.