Parts Palette Missing

I have been using 1.0.2 for a month or so. Today the Parts Palette, which normally shows up to right of window, is now missing. Selecting “View->Parts”, either list or icon does not bring it back. I have run install repair and re-install, even deleting relate directories before re-installing, and nothing changes. The parts menu still does not show up even when checked. The Inspector, Undo History and Layers palettes do show up.

Any ideas?

Try deleting the user directories (they don’t get modified during an install and are I think where the bin files are stored.) Note you will lose all your saved parts though (you can save and restore the directories then export your saved parts if this works.)

There are two user directories (with your parts and the parts database) which don’t get touched during an install (to not affect your sketches during upgrades). On Windows they are in

c:\users\username\AppData\Fritzing\roaming\Fritzing (which is a hidden directory so you need to enable hidden directories in explorer) and

c:\Users\username\My Documents\Fritzing (where username is your windows id)

If you don’t have any parts or sketches you want to keep you can just delete those two directories and Fritzing will recreate them, or you can move them aside by renaming them if you want to keep something in them.

linux

~/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

Mac

/Users/username/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

Peter

Yes, I had tried uninstall, deleting all related directories found using dos cmd “dir fritz* /s” on both C/D drives, then reinstalled. Yet the “Parts” palette does not show up, and yes, the “Parts” menu is enabled. I even tried to find “fritz” key/values to delete in registry, but nothing found there.

For what it’s worth, this is Windows 10.

I would have expected deleting both of the user directories to clear this, but one possible cause is that the Parts and Inspector windows are tear off containers. They can be separated from the main Fritzing window. If that is done, and the separate window gets dragged off of the visible screen, it can be a challenge to locate and get back.

If that has happened, on linux (I think the same on Windows), alt+tab will cycle between the open applications. Holding down alt, then pressing tab until Fritzing comes up, then continuing to hold down alt key should show all of the windows for the application. If Parts is visible there, it is open, but in a location you can not see. You can click on it to make it active, then use other controls to reposition it, even if you can not see it. Been a while since I used windows. I don’t remember the details. Google should help if you get that far.

EDIT:
Simulating that situation, I was able to get things back to normal (really the default) by:
Exiting from Fritzing
Deleting the Fritzing.conf file. that is in the .config folder on linux. It should be in roaming/Fritzing folder on windows.
Then restart Fritzing.

I’m also on Win10. I just tried detaching the parts as @microMerlin suggested, and then did an alt-tab but that doesn’t show the detached panel just the main Fritzing window (unfortunately snip-andsketch won’t capture the alt-tab window, but only the main Fritzing window appears not the detached parts window.)

windows-key tab gets a similar screen that snip and sketch will capture

but only the main Fritzing window shows not the parts detached window. I haven’t ever managed to move the detached window off the desktop so I have never run in to this before and don’t know how to recover from it.

Peter

Wow… once again… one little “bit” in the wrong state can suck up hours of debug time.

I was teaching in class yesterday displaying Fritzing on extended HDMI display. I must have closed the laptop with Fritzing running. I hooked up the extended display once again and… viola… there it is… as separated dialog box.

Thank you for your input!