Sorry,
not sure if I should ask here/ or could I found help here? :confused:

I’ve mailed to fritzing support for a part request, 3 weeks ago
and there’s still no reply

support/tickets/13946

is the part-creation team still active?
or should I start digging in how to create a part :frowning:

still looking for apa102-2020 :wink:
it is essential in my PCB and I am willing to pay the team for a good fritzing part,

We are pretty tired of looking for datasheets all the time so that we can help people, so could find a link with dimensions.

We looked at SMD RGB LEDs recently, so you might want to look there.

Well I typed in 2020 in the search bar and the very first result APA-102-2020 - the ultimate smd addressable led which does appear to have at least one user uploaded part although I am not 100% sure it is correct. The uploader said it worked for them.

thanks, but
actually, that was mine upload, for early testing

the uploaded .fzz was not a complete part
it was a series of accurate dimensioned pads,
If i need to copy them , i’ll paste 8 pads, not a part
it becomes laggy when I need to chain them in , like 40s/80s of them
and very easy to mess up when dragging them.

also I didn’t draw schematics/ silkscreen / …e.t.c.
as i will use the part intensively in my product
I am willing to pay/donate for a complete part
and I made an inquire at http://fritzing.org/services/parts-creation
which is, hanged for three weeks.

@Old_grey
theres are the details in the inquire/support ticket

the part I actually bought and soldered
from taobao/alibaba
below is the most possible datasheet of the same part above.
http://neon-world.com/uploads/wenjian/20apa.pdf

thanks for replying

Well I had a few minutes so I made the footprint based on your datasheet. I don’t have time right now to make a complet part. But it is easy with the parts editor. Open something like a ws2812 in the editor. Then change the pin number in connections. import the new svg into the pcb area. Assign the pins. Then assign the internal connections (check box and then draw them on the diagram) and after that you just need to change all the meta data and save as a new part. Quite easy when you use a similar part to start and use the editor to assign the pins.

Image removed. See Part request to apa102-2020

Maybe just put the footprint into a the “Super Flux RGB LED part”.

EDIT
There is also a “Tri-Color LED SMD” that looks a bit closer in BB view.

It sounds to me that they are making PCBs so the schematic and PCB would need to be correct and the breadboard view of the other individually addressable LEDs would be fine. After all it is a big green part with a tiny little picture of an SMD LED. And if they are making a PCB they don’t even need to open the breadboard view ever.

Here is a start. I think it would make a workable PCB at the moment but it does need a new Schematic and Breadboard because it has two pads for Vcc and two for GND in the middle which is two more than the WS2812 that I started with.

Part removed. See Part request to apa102-2020

For my contribution to this project, said new bb and schematic (which required renumbering the pcb pins as well):

edit due to an apparent error in the data sheet this part is incorrect and has been deleted until we can make a proper one.

as always, print out a copy and check the footprint matches the device you actually have before committing to boards …

Peter

Good work Peter. Hopefully it will work for @AlanChen .

@Old_Grey
@sublimeartistry
@vanepp

thanks you all for the help,
can’t believe you guys can draw with this so fast :fearful:

comparing my “footprint made with pure pads” to yours
there’s a bit different, but the actual part is more symmetric and look like yours.
I guess it’d work, and can’t wait for :slight_smile:

just did a try with 100 part copies, and they moved smoothly :smile:

btw, drawing wires,part with such dense pads can easily link to neighbor pads in Fritzing, is there any way to change
the default trace width?

Yes, just click on the trace, and in Inspector type any thickness trace up to 128"

Just remember some PCB manufactures don’t do less than 0.006"

Remember to print out the PCB and check that it is 100% right, because you don’t what to have to do a second one. Check that the footprint is bigger than the part so you can solder it from the side.

Default trace width, No. Unfortunately that is not something they have implemented yet. Although it is something that has been requested Global track thickness setting - #2 by sublimeartistry But as you are most likely aware Fritzing has slowed down on development so it may not be something that gets implemented unless one of us figure out how.

I do see that my pad is a little different then yours. My pads are the exact dimensions given in the datasheet for the solder pads.

Also one last thing. You may notice the silkscreen I added to the footprint overlaps the pads but on export Fritzing crops them to be between the pads.

1 Like

Oh default. opps.

You can Routing/Select All Traces and change them all in 1 hit, it’s just you would have to make all the small traces first and change them in a group and then make the others.

You can CTRL-click select all the traces one by one, and again group change them in Insp.

While parts creation has a steep learning curve, once you get over that parts are reasonably easy to make.

If you are planning a project with a lot of these, you need to be aware of their power issue (which you may already be). The internal oscillator in each chip is asynchronous so unlike sync multiplexer schemes the power does not average out. That means it is possible (and in fact likely, at at least some times) that all the chips will be drawing full power at the same time which (if you don’t size the power supply appropriately) will cause seemingly random failures as the power drops and the chips reset. You either need a single power supply (and distribution system) capable of powering all the leds at full current at once or a series of smaller power supplies that can power a single or a couple of chips at full load (this can make distribution easier in terms of resistive loss in the power wiring.)

Peter

1 Like

thanks for your awareness, I know, and power was planned to be separated with N-channel mos
Apa102 were widely used in POV projects, mostly sold in 5050 package LED strips

and this is not my first POV, likely 5th if i count. :slight_smile: 2020 is not friendly for hand solder,
got a hot air gun&paste and already experienced with success air-soldering
I pick 2020 because it’s small, can do dense POV, and its simple integrated driver

with a 18650 Lithium battery I got my POV with 72 apa102 -5050LEDs working well
I hope 100s of them, in 2020, work well too,

If not, I’ll parallel a second battery, :wink:

oh about part creation,
maybe I just can’t hold inkscape crashing all the time,
I can draw my own board shape(and inkscape mess it up often)
but part’s kinda much for me yet

breaking up to pads works well with easy/small parts to me,
most likely due to I use strange parts, such like some switchs(like those in hand-flashlights) , they dont have pins or leads, not a PTH/SMD part in general.
and needs custom designed pads for soldering, depends on how I’m using them. :confused:

@Old_Grey sure, select all trace and change
are there group and layer like those features in PS/Sketchup/CAD in Fritzing?
if not, its still kinda better for me to set traces for each in this case,
I got my power lines as wide as possible, and SPI lines to 8-12 mils as they’re under the part, short and don’t need to be wide.

thanks for all :sunny:

Which OS are you on? For me on Win7 Ink rarely crashes (xml editor screwups are the most common cause there, it doesn’t like some types of group indenting) but a crash is pretty rare. When you say Inkscape messes the shape up, does that mean the scale gets wrong (i.e. its larger than it should be in Fritzing)? That can be caused by not having the document length and width set to units (it defaults to px which can cause scaling problems).

Peter

I’ll start by saying I love LEDs. https://theledroom.wordpress.com/ which is one of the reasons I decided to help with this footprint. I have a large collection of Individually Addressable LEDs but never enough as it turns out. I have a project that needs a few thousand I.A. LEDs and the smaller the better so why not try out these 2020 ones. I started to design a board with the part from Peter above but found that the recommended footprint (the one I made from the data sheet) did not work well when trying to design a compact layout. My solution was to modify the footprint to allow the two GND pads to be connected under the chip (top left and bottom middle).

This makes some of the pads very small (although still larger than the pads on the LED).

Image and part removed. See Part request to apa102-2020

Thanks to @Sublimeartistry ;s good eyes I have found a bunch of errors which I think make this part currently incorrect. I’m working at correcting them and will post a corrected part a bit later. Hopefully you haven’t gotten too far with the current part …

Peter

Don’t you hate that.

I think if you make it the same family you can do a direct swap out by selecting in Insp.