Part file Variable Names used within Fritzing for Schematics, Breadboard, PCD, .fzp

Hi Peter

As I am getting into part creation a little more each day whilst learning a great deal, I find myself looking for at the Frizing core part variables and designations like connector#terminal, connector#pin, terminalid, svgid with the various files.

If find myself asking the same questions over and over:

1. “Are the more variables and designations I should be aware of?”
  2. “Is there a list of all of these variables and designations somewhere?”

As your aware I’m not a software engineer by any stretch (my terminology may be a little rusty), but I have dabbled in the past with various languages so the syntax’s are familiar enough I can navigate and make sense of them.

Kind regards

Glenn

Yes there are a bunch of them, not all of them known. If you read the .fzp files of the parts in core, you will find all sorts of parameters whose function is not documented anywhere that I know. Some of them (but not all) are in the parts file format here:

No, except in the source code (which is very complex) and sometimes the part file format document . Those I know of have been passed down to me by folks that were with Fritzing long before I found it in 2016 (the project started in 2007 I believe) here in the forum. Most of those people have moved on from Fritzing when development died in 2016 along with most or all of the developers. So we are trying to figure it out for ourselves. I have been trying to document what has been passed down to me in the tutorials and guides section of the forums but it is no where near complete. There are a bunch more things that I have found that cause problems embedded in the FritzingCheckPart.py script that will produce both Warnings (for things that aren’t fatal) and Errors (for things that will cause the part to not work in Fritzing.) Most of these I have found by either tripping over them while making parts, or while fixing parts other people have made, and I’m still finding more (found a new one just a couple of weeks ago.) Then there are bugs and there know work arounds, which again are mostly documented here in the forums rather than in any particular document. If we could attract someone interested in and capable of doing documentation that would be wonderful, but such folks are unfortunately rare (even in the commercial world.)

Peter

I’ll take a look. Thanks Peter

Did you have a play with GerbV v2.7 yet?

Kind regards

Glenn

No. haven;t gotten that far yet …

Peter