Mac OS X Big Sur (11.0.1) and fritzing?

Is there a version of fritzing that runs on the latest Mac OS, which is currently Big Sur (11.0.1)? I’d like to support the project and pay the fee, but there’s no sense in doing so if it won’t run on Big Sur, at least for me.

1 Like

I’m using Mac OS Big Sur right now on my Mac book Pro with the version 0.9.4 of Fritzing.
It is running quite well, a few bugs from time to time but nothing serious, just save and close and re-open it. I’m new to PCB design but as was able to produce something acceptable.

1 Like

That is good to know. Thank you for sharing.

Yes, thank you for the confirmation…

I tried my first go on Fritzing using OSBigSur 11.1
The breadboard view worked ok but when I looked at Schematic and PCB it couldn’t autoroute and produced complete nonsense…

Autoroute is not very smart. What it tends to create is very messy looking. Not usually nonsense though.

Note that autoroute only does anything with wires/traces. It does not move parts around. If you created your project completely in breadboard view (what it seems like, and a valid path), the parts in the other views will be in random locations, including on top of each other. They need to be unstacked, moved, rotated to someplace reasonable before autoroute has a chance to do anything close to correct.

I have never tried autoroute on schematic view.

Has anyone been able to successfully download a part from the internet then use it on your breadboard? Every time I try to do it, my parts bin is super buggy and so is the part. (On macOS Big Sur 11.1)

Don’t know about Macs, but if you upload a pointer to the part you are trying to load I can check it on Windows to make sure it is good (some parts on the net are defective.) Another thing to try may be to clear the user directories (which will delete all the parts in you mine parts bin, so do a backup as suggested!) and see if the problem is corruption in the user directories (which sometimes happens, although I haven’t heard of a case for a couple of years.)

There are two user directories (with your parts and the parts database) which don’t get touched during an install (to not affect your sketches during upgrades). If you don’t have any parts or sketches you want to keep you can just delete those two directories and Fritzing will recreate them, or you can move them aside by renaming them if you wan to keep something in them. Fritzing will happily use them again if you move them back in before starting it.

Mac

/Users/username/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

Hopefully someone else has experience with your Mac version and Fritzing.

Peter