Is my pcb wired correctly?

Hi everybody,

would any of you be willing to take a look at my project to tell me whether or not my fritzing file will work the way I created it? wemosboard.fzz (136.0 KB)

This is not a specific project, but supposed to work for different use cases (that’s why the three pin connector is for either a DS18B20 or a TEMP6000 sensor).

The controller is a Wemos D1 Mini, which is supposed to have two binary inputs (for push buttons, door reed sensors, switches, …), one LED, and either a DS18B20 or a TEMT6000 sensor.

• Male 2 Header Pins (“Flash”) => Jumper can be set to (re-)flash the board, connecting D3 and GND
  • Male 3 Header Pins => connect either of the 3-pin sensors to GND, 3V, and the analog A0 pin
  • D5, D6 are for binary sensors; they are connected to GND and an 100Ω resistor; the resistor is connected to 3V
  • D7 is for the external status LED; it is connected to the input of an LED; the output of the LED is connected to 100Ω, which then leads to GND

I had previously ordered PCBs online (for a different project), which didn’t have proper wiring and didn’t work as expected (even though my breadboard prototype did work, so I must have made some mistake when creating the fritzing sketch from my prototype). This project does not have a physical prototype, instead I wanted to ask your opinion on here first.

Currently I am considering another binary sensor on D8 the same way as D5 and D6.

My last project also included an MCP2317 extender, because it had a motion sensor and digital temperature sensor as well. But I believe that project was bloated and therefore I messed it up, so I tried to keep things single for this one.

Could I have the board manufactured as is, or is there something wrong with it?

Thank you in advance for your help :slight_smile:

Not even close as is. You have both D5 and D6 shorted to ground in breadboard view. PCB view has traces on the same side crossing, which shorts them together. There is a trace running across all of the pins on the right side. Shorting all of those together too. On PCB view, run “Design Rules Check” (on routing menu) so see the shorting problems Fritzing can detect.

Watch some of the tutorial videos.

1 Like

Thank you.

I don’t believe I missed that one trace going through all pins, but tbh, I expected thje Autoroute feature to take care of errors like this.

There were quite some errors when I ran the check you suggested. But what I don’t understand: how should I connect both D5 and D6 to GND without shorting them?

If you create a trace manually, either by completely place it from one connection point to another, or by dragging on a ratsnest line, the trace becomes “permanent”. Fritzing marks it as “Do Not Autoroute”. For any specific trace, right click on it to bring up the context menu, to see (and change) that flag. Autorouting will only erase and recalculate paths for traces that are not marked as "Do Not Autoroute. If you create autorouted traces, then manually edit one, it (probably) gets marked, so another run of Autoroute would not change that one.

Autorouting is not especially smart. You need to (at least) run Design Rules Check after Autoroute, to make sure traces did not end up to close to something.

If you want to start the routing over again, use “Select All Traces” from the routing menu, then “Edit, Delete”. That will clear all traces for either manual or autoroute trace placement.

both D5 and D6 shorted to ground