INMP441 I2S Microphone

This is a simple rendition of the INMP441 i2s MEMS microphone. I needed it for a project but could not find the part anywhere so I created it and I decided to share it. The part is available here:
https://github.com/gcoulby/FritzingParts

If there are any issues with the part, please let me know, or create a pull request.

1 Like

I ran that part through FritzingCheckPart. Here is a summary of what it reported, with added notes from my visual inspection of the part file and result in Fritzing.

The URL in the part should probably point to datasheet for the breakout board that this the part is based on. Not the github repository for the part definition.

The convention is to use black graphics for pcb silkscreen. Your pcb has that specified as the short form hex color ā€œ#fffā€. Fritzing wants the longer ā€œ#ffffffā€. It automatically converts anything that is not recognized as black (and so does the FritzingPartsCheck tool), but for future reference donā€™t use the short color references.

The connector_terminal elements in the schematic svg have been created as group (ā€œgā€) elements. They need to be graphical elements, typically a small rectangle, with ā€˜realā€™ (not zero) both x and y dimensions. Fritzing does not see the terminal element, so wires in the schematic view connect (snap) to the middle of the connector_pin element instead.

The connector numbers in the definition (fzp file) should start at zero and increment from there. (0 through 5 instead of 10 through 16).

The existing terminal numbers in the schematic svg are 0 through 5, but the definition points to 10 through 15, so that is another reason they will not do what is intended.

@microMerlin, thank you for taking the time to review the part. It is greatly appreciated. I do not make parts regularly enough to commit the intricacies of the parts editor to memory. Plus there are a lot of issues with illustrator/fritzing etc that are a headache.

Regarding your comments:

1. I have changed the URL to point at the sensor datasheet.

2. Illustrator changed black #000000 to #1d1d1b for some reason so I manually edited that to be black.

3. The schematic SVG is take directly from Fritzingā€™s IC part. I created a custom IC with the right label and Pin labels, then exported the SVG. Regarding the connector points, I did not select the snap point when assigning the connector to the graphic. So I have done this.

4. I have removed all of the connectors and recreated them so they now run 1-6 (there doesnā€™t seem to be an option to have 0 based index. the first element created is connector1).

I have pushed the changes to GitHub so that the link above remains valid to those coming later.

There are still some bogus connector terminal elements in the schematic svg. Left over from before. They are not being referenced, so they do not affect the functionality. The new version of the part should work fine.

Hiā€¦I would too like to utilize this amplifier but I havenā€™t advanced as distant as Edumana. Is there a basic way to arrange the harbour pins and clocks for this microphone? I am starting to get it a bit of this. It looks like I seem arrange numerous of the pins to empower their interchange I2S capacities, not fair pins 5, 9, and 23 as settled within the Audio library. I would have to be design the bit clock and outline select clocks for 48 kHz or anything, indicate 32 bits per word, empower the FIFO, etc. as edumana has done above.

You need to connect whatever pins the microprocessor is using for the !2S interface to the appropriate pins on the Fritzing part.This is a listing from one of these modules with the appropriate pins for an ESP32

ā€œThis product provides tutorials for using ESP32 modules with I2S functionality.
Connect to ESP32:
INMP441 ESP32
SCK >> GPIO14
SD >> GPIO32
WS >> GPIO15
L/R >> GND
GND >> GND
VDD >> VDD3.3ā€

So you need to figure out what pin SCK (as an example) needs to connect to on the microprocessor you are using (GPIO14 in the case above). This is a function of the microprocessor not Fritzing. The Fritzing part does not need any changes.

Peter