Hum-900-prc part

I am looking for this part if anyone has it or wants to make it for me let me know thanks

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/linx-technologies-inc/HUM-900-PRC/HUM-900-PRC-ND/7691362

While it wouldn’t be that difficult to make a custom part for this device, a look at the data sheet indicates that the embedded antenna (which I think is needed for this particular part as it doesn’t have the connectors for an external antenna) needs a 4 layer board which Fritzing doesn’t support, so I’m not sure the part would be usable in practice. I suspect you want the part that supports an external whip antenna via the ufl connector but which has a different pcb footprint than the part you referenced. Both the referenced part and the one with pads for the antenna appear to need 4 layer boards.

Peter

I think it’s one of those modules that sit on a PCB like a SMD part, so he proabaly only wants the footprint to loacte it on a PCB.

That is correct, but the module specified appears to need an on board antenna (it isn’t on the module) and the antenna needs a 4 layer board that AFAIK Fritzing won’t make (leaving aside the difficulty of creating such an antenna in Fritzing). The version with a connector will take a whip antenna (and I think, but am not sure, not need the 4 layer board) but that isn’t the footprint he asked for.

Peter

Opps. :blush:, that sux no ant.

It does not have to have a board antenna a wire type can be connected to pin 19

On page 98 it says "The HUM-900-PRC-UFL and the HUM-900-PRC-CAS must use one of the antennas in Figure 108 in order for the certification to be valid. "

On Page 100 it has “Specialty Styles Linx offers a wide variety of specialized antenna styles (Figure 108). Many of these styles utilize helical elements to reduce the overall antenna size while maintaining reasonable performance. A helical antenna’s bandwidth is often quite narrow and the antenna can detune in proximity to other objects, so care must be exercised in layout and placement.”

I am going to test it with different type specialty styles to get the distance needed.

I just need the footprint Thanks for the help

If anyone would like to do this for me I can pay!

I’m using this data sheet:

On page 88 it specifies a 4 layer board (which Fritzing doesn’t support) to create the appropriate RF strip line for the antenna connection from the pins on the module (assuming you want the standard small module or the -cas module). Note the comments in there on needing careful board layout to get a successful RF path (I don’t know enough to do that, you however may). The original part number you specified is for the standard part which I don’t believe will work with Fritzing, nor will the -cas version as both appear to need a 4 layer board for the RF connection. I think the -ufl version may work as the RF comes out the connector to a cable or antenna and you should be able to use a 2 layer board to mount the module although the data sheet doesn’t appear to actually say that, so I’m guessing that the RF connection being a cable will make a 2 layer board work. That version however has a different PCB layout from the standard version and is a bit larger if size is an issue. It appears that the ufl connection is also pre certified which is important if legality is a concern as I expect a certification would be very expensive. As I said it is easy enough to do a footprint, the needed information is in the data sheet, I just need to know which footprint you want (with the warning the first two may not work in practice).

Peter

I am contacting Linx tomorrow to make sure that I understand correctly, I will let you know as soon as I hear back from them.

Thanks Chris

I think this part should work for the -ufl or -cas versions of the part (but I think only the -ufl version will work with Fritzing) as the footprints are the same. Schematic and labels are for the -ufl version (-cas ant pin is NC as the ufl connector is the antenna). As always you need to verify the footprint against a real part before ordering boards because I don’t have one.

man-hum-900-prc_Module.fzpz (11.4 KB)

Peter

1 Like

Thanks Peter I will try it out

Either module will work fine in fritzing. BUT if used on a 2-layer board only, I would call it a BETA unit used for designs and in-house reference only. NOT used in a final product to customers/friends ect. YOU cannot properly perform the PCB design and layer stack requirements to be FCC complaint.(start page 84) NOW I’m no pro, but can clearly see the Figure 91 requires this for an end version of your product to be FCC complaint.

As you can see in Figure 92, layup is easily possible inside fritzing. You just need to start on page 84 to understand the facts of this FCC compliance requirement. Anyhow, compliance is a whole other deal, and not covered here.

BUT according to Figure 91, you can meet Top and mid-layer1 requirements with fritzing. YOU are just missing Dielectric 2, mid-layer 2, Dielectric 3, mid-layer3. Peter is correct, fritzing cannot do that. BUT you can however have the board-house building your board, add these addition layers to your PCB, for your product to supposedly be compliant. Regardless, a easy workaround if you only need to layup on the top-side. Peters part will work a treat for anyone needing to use this module. Just note and read the .PDF and understand the FCC compliance guidelines.

Parts here should be labeled EXPERIMENTAL, for BETA purposes only… Just to cover peter’s parts actual requirements. Which cannot be met using fritzing.

The pdf says

"The castellation connection for the antenna on the pre-certified version allows the use of embedded antennas as well as removes the cost of a cable assembly for the U.FL connector. However, the PCB design and layer stack must follow one of the reference designs for the certification on the HUM-900-PRC-CAS to be valid. Figure 91 "

This is for the castellation version only not for the UFL

It also clarifies and says
"Note: The PCB design and layer stack for the HUM-900-PRC-CAS must follow these reference designs for the pre-certification to be valid.
The HUM-900-PRC-UFL and the HUM-900-PRC-CAS must use one of the antennas in Figure 108 in order for the certification to be valid.
The HUM-900-PRC has not been tested and requires full compliance testing in the end product as it will go to market.
All modules require unintentional radiator compliance testing in the end product as it will go to market."

Again the pcb layer stack reference is for the CAS version only! the UFL just has to use one of the listed antennas in Fig 108 for the certification to be valid.

At least this is how I understand what is being stated I have not heard back from the supplier to confirm and I will be out of town for the next week I hope that I will hear from them by then.

Thanks