Help me! TSSOP-8 question

Hello. I am a beginner in pcb design.
My question is about the TSSOP-8 package, I can’t find it anywhere and I need it for my design.

Could you tell me where I can find it?

Start Fritzing then drag a generic IC (which happens to be 8 pins by default) in to the sketch:

the footprint is currently dip, but in Inspector you can change that to tssop like this:

which gets you a tssop 20, so change the number of connections (again in Inspector) to 8 to get the tssop-8 footprint like this:

you should then check the generated footprint actually matches the chip you are using before ordering boards though (there may be different versions of a tssop-8.) If that isn’t the footprint you need, then we would need to find or make an appropriate one.

Peter

Thanks, but that isn’t the footprint that i need.

If you have a data sheet with the footprint you need I will have a look around or make one if it doesn’t exist.

Peter

Hi.

I am not presuming that this offer is still open! But I too need a TSSOP-8 footprint and have not been successful in finding it…

The IC is PCA9536DP - the manufacturer’s data sheet is here:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/PCA9536.pdf

The package type for the one I have is listed as: “TSSOP8, variant: SOT505-1”

I have uploaded to this post a snip of the enginering drawing from the data sheet showing the package dimensions…

Thanks for any help you may be able to give…

I can eventually do one of these but there are a bunch of fairly complex parts ahead of you . The easiest solution is to use the Generic IC as detailed in one of the posts above. You do need to check that the selected footprint matches the footprint of the part you want but it will be faster.

Peter

I’m sorry, I did not make it clear. I did follow the steps you outlined near the start of this thread. The resultant footprint was not TSSOP-8 - none of the options listed yielded the correct pin spacing of 0.65

There is a part that has the right pin spacing: 74HC595-TSSOP16

But this is 16 pins. I can’t reduce that to 8…

Is it possible to ‘hack’ this part to reduce the pin count?

Thanks

This part should do what you want. Note DRC with the default rules won’t pass (you need to set custom rules to get it to pass) and you need to print out the pcb footprint at 1:1 scale and compare it to a real part to make sure it is correct. I made it from a tssop8 layout from diodes available here

as nxp doesn’t have a recommended footprint and the result matches reasonably closely with the tssop16 footprint and seems to match the nxp datasheet.

PCA9536DP.fzpz (5.0 KB)

Peter

Thank you so much!

I shall try it and see.