Fritzing will not open

When attempting to open Fritzing the splash screen shows then Fritzing shuts down. No messages are displayed.

Steps I took that resulted in the problem:

Double-clicked “Fritzing.exe”

What I expected should have happened instead:

Program should have opened.

My version of Fritzing and my operating system:

0.9.3b WIndows 7

Please also attach any files that help explaining this problem

By the flash screen you mean the Red box with Fritzing beta I assume? If so do you get the pop up box below it with Loading and a progress bar under it? The first thing I’d do is check that your download worked ok and that the unzip also worked OK (I usually use 7zip, some folks have had problems with the built in unzip). Lacking the C runtime libraries is another common problem, but it complains about missing dlls which it sounds like your installation is not. I’m running on Win7 pro and haven’t had problems so it certainly works there. (edit:) Forget to mention make sure your anitvirus isn’t blocking some of the unzip as a “virus” too …

There is a bar at the bottom with a copyright message and version number but it doesn’t move like a progress bar would.

Everything appears to have unzipped successfully.

I have downloaded the previous version and this reacts the same way. I have disabled antivirus to test but still no joy :frowning:

Previously when I attempted to start, I got a message saying “No disk in drive” before it closed down. Not sure if that may be relevant?

If this is the first start of 9.3 you have to let it download part files for maybe 10 min. There is no progress bar so it looks like it’s doing nothing.

That sounds reasonable but process disappears from Task Manager just after the splash screen disappears.

I was afraid you were going to say that.

Without an error message it’s going to be hard to work out. I had a program that did that, and it did start once in maybe 100 starts, but I never got to the bottom of it. The program worked on another PC.

Other than removing it, reboot, and reload, I’m not going to be much help.

Did you load the runtime?

There are general “program close after opening Win7” on Google.

You certainly have an unusual fault :slight_smile: , sounds like you only get the splash screen (which indeed has a copyright and version message in the bar at the bottom) however there should be a small window below and separate from the splash window that says “loading” with a progress bar, and it sounds like that isn’t starting. The only suggestions I have are try redoing the download of Fritzing and compare it to your current one (in case of a download error) and checking the Windows event log under applications and system to see if you see an error when Fritzing starts. It sounds like something is dying during startup but its unclear why.

I have downloaded an older version (0.8.7b) and this one seems to work fine.

I bet 9.2 will run fine too.

9.3 introduced the the need of api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll, and people’s anti-virus’s stripping files, are the 2 things that has been the cause of failures.

The only further thing that I can suggest is to try putting the path to Fritzing (mine would be C:\fritzing\fritzing.0.9.3b.64.pc yours may be different) at the start of your path environment variable. Its possible that some other package on your system has a program of the same name as something in Fritzing that is in the path before the version in Fritzing (this is a long shot :slight_smile: ). If that works it will likely break something else (as the other program will now get the wrong version) but at least we will know where the conflict is. Previous failures have at least given an error message, so I don’t think this is the same as the other failures we have seen.