Fritzing is very slow on my PC

Hi,

I started with Arduino 2-3 weeks ago and always wondered about the nice drawings of the parts in different forums and so I decided to dowload the software as well as give a small donation.

Now I am working with it but find it very very very slow to draw and position the different pieces and I really do not have a slow PC as well as my hardrive is a 1TB SSD.

What can I do to improve the speed ?

Thanks and regards Rainer

If you have the grid set too fine it goes slow, maybe it’s that.

Thanks. Will play with the settings.

If you open one of the examples such as

open->example->arduino->digital->output->blink

and try an move it around do you see the same problem or is it only one of your sketches? If it is only one of your sketches (and isn’t a changed scale as Old_Grey suggested), if you upload the .fzz (seventh icon from the left on the reply menu bar) one of us can try it on our machine and see what happens and likely tell you what is wrong.

Peter

blood-pressure-monitor-zzz-diagram.fzz (97.3 KB)

Can someone figure out why this is working so slow ???
Any help pretty please.
My computer is 18 core intel core i9 with very decent video card and 32 GB of ram.
Should not have any problems.

I have essential tremor so it is extremely difficult for me to use fritzing anyway and this adds insult to injury.

For me your fzz file doesn’t load

If I ignore the error the sketch appears normal for me (Fritzing 1.0.2 on Win10.)

Although it looks a little odd (probably due to the missing part.) There is probably an error in the adafruit_Permaproto_Full_sized_board part. If you upload the .fzpz file for the part I will have a look at it.

edit:

A post from 2018 reported a similar problem but I was never able to reproduce it to fix it. I see someone later posted a new set of boards at the bottom of this thread which may help. As I said if you upload the .fzpz file I’ll have a look at it and see if I can reproduce the issue and fix it,

Peter

I will get you the file for adafruit_Permaproto_Full_sized_board.fzpz
Adafruit_Permaproto_Full_sized_Board__ae169a6a52289a88981faa0062203b34.fzp (259.4 KB)

There may be a problem that there are two copies of the “whole bunch of stuff (.fzp ???)” from Adafruit;

Please could you help me solve this … perhaps just reinitialize all the data from adafruit but not any other customizations (there are probably less than 10 separately added .fzp); I researched this already but I’m sure you know better than me :smiley: :smiley:

$DocumentsLocation = /home/garberw/user-dirs/Documents
NOTE !!! I changed default from ~/Documents to ~/user-dirs/Documents;
updated ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs; should not cause an error;

contents of ROOT=$DocumentsLocation/Fritzing

ROOT/bins
ROOT/bins/my_parts.fzb
ROOT/bins/Adafruit.2024.01.27.fzb
ROOT/bins/Adafruit parts.fzb
......etc. about 12 files total

ROOT/parts/contrib
......many files

ROOT/parts/svg/contrib/breadboard
ROOT/parts/svg/contrib/icon
ROOT/parts/svg/contrib/pcb
ROOT/parts/svg/contrib/schematic
......each have many files

ROOT/parts/svg/user/breadboard
ROOT/parts/svg/user/icon
ROOT/parts/svg/user/pcb
ROOT/parts/svg/user/schematic
......each have many files

ROOT/parts/user
18 files ending in .fzp;

~/.config/Fritzing/Fritzing.conf

to make a long story short looks like customizations go in

ROOT/bins/*.fzb
ROOT/parts/user/*.fzp
ROOT/parts/svg/user/{breadboard,icon,pcb,schematic}/*.svg

i.e. if the duplicate Adafruit library were the problem how would I fix it ??? Remove the .fzb ???
Or reinstall all data I have added from blank slate ??? Will try to figure out how in meantime.

The easiest way to do that will be to right click on the adafruit_Permaproto_Full_sized_board part in the adafruit parts bin and click export part which will export the part as a .fzpz file to the file system and upload that. I have an older version of the part but you look to have a newer one as the moduleIds are different.

That may be a problem as the paths that Fritzing will use are I believe hard coded (I don’t think that has changed in recent versions but I’m not sure of that either.) A hardlink from the original directory to the new one will work but unless the path is changed by an argument to fritzing it will likely use the old path and that may cause problems. Your best bet is probably to move the user directories aside and then Fritzing will recreate them where it wants them. It looks like there is a problem in the Adafruit part ( the post from 2018 indicates odd groups in the svg files but as noted I was never able to reproduce the problem on my system.) It looks like there may be a bug as the part was not exported to the .fzz file as it should have been (and thus the error message on load.) With the fzpz file I should be able to reproduce that and report the bug. Here are the instructions on clearing the user directories:

There are two user directories (with your parts and the parts database) which don’t get touched during an install (to not affect your sketches during upgrades). On Windows they are in

c:\users\username\AppData\Fritzing\roaming\Fritzing (which is a hidden directory so you need to enable hidden directories in explorer) and

c:\Users\username\My Documents\Fritzing (where username is your windows id)

If you don’t have any parts or sketches you want to keep you can just delete those two directories and Fritzing will recreate them, or you can move them aside by renaming them if you want to keep something in them.

linux

~/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

Mac

/Users/username/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

as noted this will delete all your custom parts (but they are all in the old directories so moving them back will keep them, as will right clicking on the part in the bin and selecting export part to write it to a .fzpz file which is what I do so I can clear the user directories and reload the parts when I need to. If you miss one or more shutting down Fritzing and moving the saved directories back to where the were then restarting Fritzing will start using the original directories again.

Peter

I did a clean install

$ mv ~/user-dirs/Documents/Fritzing ~/user-dirs/Documents/Fritzing.backup
$ Fritzing &      # restart regenerated a new ~/user-dirs/Documents/Fritzing
$ cd ~/weather-manuals/fritzing
$ unzip Fritzing-Library-master.zip     # that's the Adafruit library

then from in Fritzing open ALL of the .fzb files in that directory in the order listed:

$ ls -1 *.fzbz
Adafruit Arduino.fzbz
Adafruit Batteries.fzbz
Adafruit Feather.fzbz
AdaFruit.fzbz
Adafruit LED Backpacks.fzbz
Adafruit Raspberry Pi.fzbz
AdaGators.fzbz
CircuitPlayground.fzbz

and on Fritzing exit it prompted me to save the same .fzbz files in ~/user-dirs/Documents/Fritzing/
and I did;

I am pretty sure there is no problem with using ~/user-dirs/Documents instead of ~/Documents provided you set it up in ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs.

I tried my sketch I uploaded and it was still sluggish. Sorry.

That may well be true I haven’t seen .config/user-dirs.dirs before so it may be in the newer releases (and I haven’t run across it yet.) Note a reinstall will not (or again didn’t used to) change the user directories (so that you don’t lose your parts during an upgrade) so likely the original directories are still there just not currently in use.

That is likely an error in the part. If you upload the .fzpz file for the

adafruit_Permaproto_Full_sized_board.fzpz

I’ll have a look at the part and see if I can reproduce it and/or fix it.

Peter

Adafruit PermaProto Full-sized Board.fzpz (34.4 KB)
This time I did it exactly as prescribed to extract the attached file above. I also tried the generic breadboards on the link above for the similar blog/wiki posting. That worked !!! Problem solved. Maybe one of us should report this to Adafruit. I don’t think so. Also one thing I noticed was the Adafruit perma proto board was in the parts layer not the breadboard layer. Does that matter ???

Well good news and bad news. With your Adafruit PermaProto Full-sized Board.fzpz loaded in to Fritzing before hand, your .fzz file loads without error for me. The bad news is as before I don’t see any performance slow down when accessing of changing the fzz file. When I write it as a .fzz file it does not export the Adafruit PermaProto Full-sized Board part as part of the .fzz (which is a Fritzing bug which I will report.) I see a lot of problems with the part itself but I don’t see perfomance issues so far. I’ll keep poking at it and correct the part and see if that helps. I have the same system and video card that I had in 2018 when I also couldn’t see the performance issue so it may be video card related somehow. I may modify the altered version of the part from the 2018 post to match the adafruit part and see if the helps things along.

Peter

awesome !!! :smiley: will check back;

maybe the performance issue has something to do with the fact that I am using fedora 39 gnome on wayland and Fritzing version 1.0.0d. It seems you are using a windows version. The Fritzing splash screen says it is a beta version.

I don’t think so. The original report in 2018 will have been Fritzing 0.9.3b because development hadn’t restarted at that point, and it happened for other people but not to me and that looks to be still true. It is worth updating to the 1.0.2 version as there is a bug fix for a bad bug that can cause corruption of the routing table (and require you to scrap the sketch and start again!) that was finally reproduced (I had been trying for over 5 years without success before finally recreating it!) It doesn’t happen all that often but when it does it is a real pain usually. There are a number of problems with the adafruit part. When I get them fixed I post a version of your sketch and we can see if it still has problems.

Peter

I tried version 1.0.2. It works much better. Problem solved !!!

Here is a fixed part for the Adafruit PermaProto Full-sized Board. It now exports (at least for me which it didn’t used to) to the .fzz file and seems to work. I suspect one or more of the problems in the original are the cause of the slowdowns. If you still have a copy of the older Fritzing version it would be interesting to see if this version works properly (as neither of them slow down for me!)

Adafruit PermaProto Full-sized Board-fixed.fzpz (32.6 KB)

Peter

that perma proto board was somewhat faster. what really made an improvement was the new version of fritzing I downloaded a couple days ago.