Fritzing Installation Problem on Linux

I removed Windows & changed my Computer to run on the Linux operating system.
I have not been able to re-install Fritzing on the Linux Operating System.
Can someone please assist me?
Thanks
Regards
Syd

There is no installation needed. You just download the binaries and run the file named Fritzing . If you are on a brand new Linux release then there could be other issues making it not run and in that case you should try running that same fritzing file from the command line and see if there are any warnings.

What i always do (Linux mint) download the tar and install midnight commander (apt-get install mc). Unpack the tar in your download map.

Open mc with sudo (sudo mc) in a terminal. Copy the extracted map (i rename it to fritzing) to /opt/fritzing

All you have to do is run install.sh in the /opt/fritzing map

In the menu editor browse to the fritzing executable and you can pic an icon from the icons map too.

I removed Fritzing, rebooted the computer & re-Installed a fresh version of Fritzing from the web again.

When attempting to run Fritzing I still receive notifications similar to this:

" The part 'e-paper eval board at ‘/home/syd/downloads /Fritzing/ fritzing-parts/core/10x2-Epaper-Breakout-Board-v11-fzp’ does not have a unique module id ‘10x2-Epaper-Breakout-board-vqq’

Hitting ok or delete just displays the next part with the same message.
This repeats every time the same message and a different part.

Can someone please advise what I need to do to remove this corrupted program and all the Parts from my computer & re-install a fresh version with all the parts.

Thanks
Syd

If i remember correctly Fritzing saves temporary files in ~/.local
Have a look there for a fritzing folder and delete that one.

If it’s not ~/.local have a look at ~/.config :wink:

remove or move aside

~/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

neither of these get touched during an install as they contain the user’s sketches, but they sometimes become corrupted (usually by an interrupted parts update).

Peter

Hi all,
I have tried all suggestions including uninstalling Fritzing completely and anything related to it, including my circuits layouts & Parts from my Linux computer several times.

There must still be some hidden Fritzing files that I do not know about.

I then re-installed Fritzing but it still wont run.
Apart from Fritzing my computer is working perfectly.

It seems that I may have to try another PCB design program which I am reluctant to do as I believe that Fritzing is the best that I have used so far.

Syd

You do realize after purging the suggested files and redownloading on first run it may become unresponsive for many minutes while it updates the parts library. If a pop up comes up saying it is unresponsive just ignore it and DO NOT FORCE IT CLOSED. If you force it closed or kill it during this update you will break the install every time.

EDIT: also you never responded to my previous attempt to help where I asked you to start it from the command line to see if you get any errors and report back on the results from the terminal.

How are you installing Fritzing? If you are using one of the package managers an issue on github indicates at least one of them doesn’t have a dependency for the parts database (the fritzing-parts repo) which breaks the install. The recommended way to install is download the zip file from the Fritzing site, untar it and run Frizting from the install directory. It has an appropriate (if now outdated) parts database. Then as @sublimeartistry suggested above you need to wait while the parts database update takes place. If you want to use one of the app managers (which the linux folks suggest that you do) then make sure to load the fritzing parts package too in case it isn’t set as a dependency on fritzing.

Peter

Sorry for reviving this old topic but it fits my problem. I am new to Fritzing as from this date and my pc runs linux opensuse version 15.1. I have tried 2 methods to install fritzing on my pc and both fail. There are a few linux based downloads possible, but none specifically for opensuse.

What I tried:

• I cloned the source from github as a zip file and it unzipped in the directory fritzing-app-develop. I changed (cd) to that directory and run ./Fritzing.sh. This fails immediately with the error “/home/charles/downloads/fritzing-app-develop/lib/Fritzing: No such file or directory”. In fact, there is only a src/lib directory under the fritzing home tree, but also in this directory there is no directory or file “Fritzing”. It seems the github download is not correct.

• using Heinervdm’s openSUSE repo, I installed fritzing with Yast2. Running this produced some errors, so I also installed the “fritzing-parts” and the “fritzing-debuginfo” from this repo. When I start this Fritzing, the first error message is “Unable to find parts git repository”. Clicking OK brings the next error message “Cannot read file screw_terminal_2_3.5mm.fzp: No such file or directory”. Clicking OK produce the next error which is a whole list under the heading “Unable to find the following 143 parts:” followed by the details. After clicking OK again, I get the Fritzing screen. But when I try to open the first example under File->Open Example->Arduino->Digital->Output->Blink it start loading and terminates with the message "Unable to find the following 6 Parts: ".
    But is it normal that Fritzing looks at a github website for the parts, because I installed “fritzing-parts” from the repo, which are installed on my pc under /usr/share/fritzing/parts.
    And concerning the screw_terminal_2_3.5mm.fzp file error, this file is actually installed as /usr/share/fritzing/parts/core/screw_terminal_2_3.5mm.fzp.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Charles

This doesn’t work because it is a source repository. You would need to compile it (a non trivial task.) A better bet would be to download the prebuilt binary distribution from the Fritzing downloads page (which requires a donation) and install that. That said I’m not sure it will run directly on opensuse but it may. If you unzip that on your machine it will have both the binary and a current parts repository.

Don’t know about the debuginfo part, but the parts repository is a necessary part of the install (and often not a dependency on the main install which causes problems like this.) Given that you installed it first without the parts repo, you may need to clear the user directories (which aren’t touched during a reinstall) and then remove the install and install the parts repo and the Fritzing repo together before starting Fritzing. Here are instructions for clearing the user directories:

There are two user directories (with your parts and the parts database) which don’t get touched during an install (to not affect your sketches during upgrades). On Windows they are in

c:\users\username\AppData\Fritzing\roaming\Fritzing (which is a hidden directory so you need to enable hidden directories in explorer) and

c:\Users\username\My Documents\Fritzing (where username is your windows id)

If you don’t have any parts or sketches you want to keep you can just delete those two directories and Fritzing will recreate them, or you can move them aside by renaming them if you wan to keep something in them.

linux

~/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

Mac

/Users/username/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

Yes. On every startup Fritzing accesses the github parts repository to see if there are new parts available. If there are, it will offer to install them for you. Fritzing currently gives no progress indicator of a parts update and interrupting it before it finishes is the most common reason for having to remove the user directories above. Also various of the repository install versions install the parts in somewhere that Fritzing can’t update them which means you need to manually clone the parts repository from

to get the latest parts (presumably with sufficient permissions to write in to where the parts repo is stored on your machine.) You may then need to run a parts update via Part->regenerate parts database in Fritzing.

Peter

Many thanks, your explanation is much appreciated . And I should have looked a bit more careful into the github download, but as it did not have somethimg like a makefile, I assumed it was executable.

I downloaded the Bionic unix tar file and did the install.sh run and it just worked out of the box. When starting Fritzing I get a bunch of error messages all in the form of “qt.svg: link X hasn’t been detected!” (where “X” seems to be a single alphabetic character), but as I suppose this has something to do with an icon file, it doesn’t seem to do much harm. So I am quite happy. Now I only have to learn how to use it:-)

Charles

That is what it is designed to do and why I recommend that rather than the getapp type installs (which often have problems.)

Yep, that is normal and doesn’t (AFAIK) hurt anything. We may eventually find and eliminate that although it is likely low priority compared to bug fixing :slight_smile: .

Since the original design was aimed at kids it is pretty easy to use (if sometimes limited) so you shouldn’t have a lot of problems. One thing to watch for is the 3 views (breadboard, schematic and pcb) are linked so best practice is to complete one view (breadboard or schematic usually) and then use the rats nest lines to route the traces in the other two views. If you make conflicting changes in more than one view it can cause routing database corruption and you need to delete all the traces and start again. I’ve got examples of the corruption, but have never been able to reproduce it to figure out if it is a bug or just that some changes aren’t reverseable.

Peter