Fritzing Crashes on MacOS 14.1.2

Steps I took that resulted in the problem:

Loading any components or loading circuit examples crashes Fritzing.

My version of Fritzing and my operating system:

Fritzing Version 1.01 (also tried version 1.0.0)
Running on Macbook Pro 2019 Intel, running MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

One thing to try (which may or may not help!) is to clear the user directories. Fritzing will re create the directories if they are not present but even reloading the program doesn’t affect the user directories. Here are the instructions (note removing the directories will remove all you parts in the mine parts bin!)

There are two user directories (with your parts and the parts database) which don’t get touched during an install (to not affect your sketches during upgrades). On Windows they are in

c:\users\username\AppData\Fritzing\roaming\Fritzing (which is a hidden directory so you need to enable hidden directories in explorer) and

c:\Users\username\My Documents\Fritzing (where username is your windows id)

If you don’t have any parts or sketches you want to keep you can just delete those two directories and Fritzing will recreate them, or you can move them aside by renaming them if you want to keep something in them.

linux

~/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

Mac

/Users/username/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

Thank you, but unfortunately no success. I deleted all prior folders and completed a new install. The program runs, but as soon as it needs to load new components or loading circuit examples, then it crashes.

Then the issues (there are currently two of them, one I think yours and someone else’s) on gitub are your best hope. I’m on Windows and not a Mac and all is working well there. The developers have a fair amount of experience with Macs but may not have your exact setup but hopefully can suggest or find something. You might want to try an even earlier version such as 0.9.10 to see if that works (the later code bug fixes are important but 0.9.10 was a solid release. Also the debug log enabled here:

which produces output like this after an action

may help. I believe if the problem is a seg fault, that QT will usually destroy the debug window on the crash, so it may not work, but it is worth a try as it will give valuable information about where the fault is occurring in the code if it does work. Good luck and sorry I can’t help more!

Peter

Thank you! Version 0.9.10 seems to be stable so far and works fine on MacOS. None of the crashing issues.

At least I can start using it whilst the team resolve the later version issues.

If you can try the debug log on version 1.0.1 (on Windows I can load and then copy the directory to a new spot and then run the code from that new spot although it will use the user directories which may affect 0.9.10 if you don’t clear them before running it again.) That may give the developers useful information. It is hard to solve problems if we can’t reproduce them. One of the problems mostly fixed in 1.0.1 resulting in database corruption has been around for more than 10 years and I have been trying to reproduce it for more than 5 years before finally succeeding to reproduce it a year or so ago but then couldn’t dependably reproduce it but one of the developers could from my steps. Leading to the solution.

edit

As well the fact that 0.9.10 works fine on your machine is worth adding (if you haven’t already) to the github issue because that indicates at least one version of Fritzing works on your machine which is useful information for the developers.

Peter

Tested the new v1.02 and it now works with no crashing. Great job, thank you.