Esp-wroom-32d - firebeetle

Hi there everyone!
I’m trying to modify a fzz file I found online to match my dfrobot firebeetle but I’m having a hard time getting it to work on Fritzing.

I’ve modified all the svg files and the part.xxx.fz file and still get errors while trying to use the part.
The error says something on not finding a file inside the package but they are all there!

Would someone be able to help me?

Thanks!
Paulo

ESP32_FIREBEETLE.fzpz (409.0 KB)

The format of your fzpz file is incorrect (the part is as well, but the .fzpz file is what is stopping the load!) It currently looks like this:

capture

and it needs to look like this:

capture1

with only the files circled in red in the fzpz file at the top level in order to load. That said, the part is incorrect in that both schematic and pcb have problems with connectors.

What are you trying to do? Is there an error in the original Firebeetle part (I made it, so if it is wrong I can and should correct it?)

Peter

Hi peter, many thanks for the answers, I’ll take a look at them and will try to fix them later in the day but I do confess I’m a newbie and it hasn’t been easy try to mod an existing design. :slight_smile:

As for the original firebeetle part, mine has a ESP32-WROOM-32D chip and the pinout is slightly different. I’ve searched everywhere for a similar board but none that I found is a match.

I’m adding links to the board + dfrobot website below to illustrate the differences

https://wiki.dfrobot.com/FireBeetle_ESP32_IOT_Microcontroller(V3.0)_Supports_Wi-Fi&_Bluetooth__SKU__DFR0478

Best Regards,
Paulo

I think this board is a little too complex to try modifying without being experienced in making parts, so I am in the process of doing one. So far I have started on breadboard by using the jpeg image above imported in to Inkscape like this:

there is the base rectangle and the mounting holes and some of the parts (but not yet the connectors) in this svg (here with the jpeg moved to show the board and parts so far alone):

the process I use to make parts is detailed in this tutorial series (which has 8 or 9 parts to it!)

this set of videos by @Old_Grey may also be helpful as they cover topics like Inkscape tricks that I did not.

Peter

Thanks Peter!
I’ll watch the tutorials for sure as I want to be able to create/mod parts on my own at some point and hopefully even contribute back! (Even though I’m fully aware it will still take some time to get there :smiley: )

Also, many many thanks for taking the time to look into my problem, answer me and help me with the schematics. It is much appreciated!

All the best,
Paulo

OK here is a new part for this board. As usual the mounting holes are only on silkscreen, if you want the mounting holes drilled you need to drag a hole from core parts over the circle in silkscreen and set the size (probably 2mm.)

FireBeetle-ESP32-IOT-Microcontroller-V3.fzpz (32.1 KB)

Peter

Wow!
This is perfect Peter, many thanks again!

Best Regards,
Paulo

Many thanks Peter for the Firebeetle 2 Fritzing part! I have seen that the Firebeetle can be mounted through-hole but has castellated holes also, to mount it SMD-like on top of an other PCB, see https://dfimg.dfrobot.com/store/data/DFR0654/DFR0654-datail-002_564x376.jpg?imageView2/1/w/564/h/376

So I like to try adding pads on my fritzing PCB. First I thought it could be a good Idea to edit FireBeetle-ESP32-E-tht_1_pcb.svg and adjust the THT connectors with longer pads as described in https://forum.fritzing.org/t/generic-ics-with-oblong-rectangular-pads/6140/14 but the needed pads are longer than the board itself. So I would have to make the component for the PCB bigger than it is in nature. An other approach would be to add simply pads on the fritzing PCB view:

Does this work for production because the pads overlapping with the holes? It looks ok, at least in a Gerber viewer.

Yes this should work fine. DRC will likely complain because there is copper overlap but the pads will work in the end as copper is copper on the board.

Peter

1 Like

I have to correct myself or be a bit more precise: The old version 1 Firebeetle has no castellated holes, only the new one, Version 2 with an ESP32-E, see https://www.dfrobot.com/product-2195.html. Unfortunately the pinout is completely different in the new version and the old Fritzing part has to be modified.

I just added a SMD version to this post from last june which already has this version of the Firebeetle.

Peter

Peter, you are awesome! I had the other thread not on the plate. Thanks for the reference and especially the adapted part!