Error when regenerating parts in order to use search feature

Hello, I downloaded version 0.99, I am under Ubuntu 20.04LTS. Prior to it, I was using default version (0.93b) that we can install under Ubuntu using “apt-get install” command.

I removed the 2 folders prior executing fritzing:

rm -Rf ~/Documents/Fritzing
rm -Rf ~/.config/Fritzing

Starting fritzing using the following command
~/fritzing-0.9.9-l348-f0af53a9.AppImage

I am getting the following messages (do not look harmful?) at startup
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
qt.gui.icc: Unsupported ICC profile class 70727472
QPngHandler: Failed to parse ICC profile

Everything looks ok.

Then, clicking on “new sketch”, opening it.

Then “components”, “regenrate component database…”, get the popup, then “regenerate”

The issue I am getting a message:
Unable to delete the original DB file
/tmp/.mount_fritziApAx6e/fritzing-parts/parts.db

…and on the console getting this:

Object::setParent: Cannot set parent, new parent is in a different thread QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection ‘qt_sql_default_connection’ is still in use, all queries will cease to work.
QSqlDatabasePrivate::addDatabase: duplicate connection name ‘qt_sql_default_connection’, old connection removed.

the file under /tmp was created at program startup and cannot delete it myself using sudo command.

What is the issue? I lost my whole afternoon … MANY THANKS!!!

Why are you trying to regenerate the parts database? That is very rarely required when you for some reason you have to manually update the parts repository. The appImage has a correct copy of the parts repository and works (at least for me, on Ubuntu 18.02LTS) fine. I don’t think there have been any parts updates in a while (because no one, including me, has submitted any recently.) It sounds like a change in 0.9.9 may have broken the data base reqenaration from the error messages (which is likely a bug!) though, as what should happen is that Fritzing updates the parts database and then shuts down. The new parts database is used on the next startup.

Peter

Many thanks Peter, I was convinced that I needed to regenerate the DB prior to do a search… I noticed after my post that search is available on the right side in component window . Thanks for the help

That said in 0.9.9 parts regen appears to be broken which I will report as a bug.

Peter