DS18b20 Probe part

Hi to everyone,

I’m looking for a fritzing part for DS18b20. I know there is the adafruit lib with a fritzing part, but it has 4 wires (including shield) and my DS18b20 only has 3 (GND,VCC,Data). Is there a library with the probe sensor (as strip not only the pined senor)?

Thanks
Marc

Here try this…
DS18B20 1-Wire Temperature Sensor Probe Cable.fzpz (6.7 KB)

Personally I don’t like parts made by Adafruit, No terminal in schem, too much free space, too much unnecessary details in breadboard views, editing them takes lot of time…

Thank you very much!
This was, what I’m looking for! Thanks…

@Blue :
i did download the part, but it has 4 wires, not three … and fritzing says:
this part is already in library ‘dc050912ce400d56deb4f0ffcf1a38c5’ … so what could i do? i need the 3-wired sensor …

thanks in advance
so long
perlchamp

For me (ob Fritzing 0.9.9 on Win10) the part above both loads and has 3 wires:

So it looks like you have a local problem of some kind or already have this part loaded. Do you have the adafruit part bin loaded (I do not!)? It is possible the moduleId wasn’t changed on the part above which will cause both these problems (you will get the original 4 wire part in Fritzing because the new part wasn’t loaded due to the duplicate moduleId.)

<module fritzingVersion="0.7.5b.07.02.6130" moduleId="dc050912ce400d56deb4f0ffcf1a38c5">
<author>John De Cristofaro for Adafruit Industries, arnab.blue</author>
<title>DS18B20 1-Wire Temperature Sensor Probe</title>
<label>DS</label>
<date>2021-Jul-08</date>
<url>https://www.adafruit.com/products/381</url>

Peter

peter, what can i do now ?

is there perhaps a way to change the existing sensor so that you can configure it (like the resistors) i.e. choose whether it has 3 or 4 wires ?
That would of course be the crowning glory…

Use this part instead. I ran Blue’s part through parts editor and changed the variant (parts editor changes the moduleId and file names) so it should now load and not conflict with the Adafruit part.

DS18B20 1-Wire Temperature Sensor Probe-new-modId.fzpz (6.2 KB)

Not without making changes to the Fritzing code.

Peter

2 Likes

wonderful, peter, it works for me very well now :slight_smile: … awesome, but one little thing:
i can’t flip horizontally (to change the wires)

thanks very much

Usually (as in this case) in breadboard view flipping the part is disabled as you usually can’t do that in the real world. It is possible to enable it, but it is non standard. Rotating the part by 180 degrees will have almost the same effect (except the probe will point down instead of up.)

Peter

that’s exactly the point, peter. fritzing should also be used to design the layout. in this case (the positive pole must be on the right) the overhead probe shoots up the entire layout in fritzing and becomes confusing.
in real world you can swap the wires :wink:

In this particular case yes you can swap the wires, in many other cases though (such as a module) you can’t just swap the wires. I think the current design is intended to work in most cases (and in cases like this where it doesn’t it is possible if not easy to change the part.)

Peter

ok, thanks. i have to live with it … it’s no nightmare for me …

Resistors are factory parts, so the details are a bit different, however you can get the same effect in parts that are built ‘correctly’. If 2 parts have the same family property, and another property (say “wires”) with different values, then Fritzing will switch between them when the “wires” value is changed in inspector.

For cases where it does make sense to be able to flip a part on breadboard view, the part can be configured to allow it. It is a one line change in the fzp file.

<breadboardView fliphorizontal="true" flipvertical="true" >

instead of

<breadboardView>

With that, with the part selected, both “Flip Horizontal” and “Flip vertical” become active on the part menu.

Here is a copy of the part referenced about with that change, plus two more. I changed the version number suffix on the module ID, so that this could be loaded at the same time as the previous version. I also changed the “variant” property to “variant flipable”, so that the 2 can be selected in Inspector for comparison (by change the “variant” dropdown"

DS18B20 1-Wire Temperature Sensor Probe-flip.fzpz (6.5 KB)
(upload://fcNK0V4qkIZAInvLmKPsrQJLWPI.fzpz) (6.5 KB)

Adding to the comment about about properties, this part is very sparse. It has only family “sensor” and variant “variant new moduleId” it really should have more. Something like:
family: sensor
type: digital
attribute: temperature
wires: 3

If all “sensor” parts included equivalent properties, Inspector could be used to switch between them.

hallo, many thanks :slight_smile:
while importing that part, fritzing killed byself, no frozen, closed !
now, it tells me, that a part of a file is missing … i did clean the hole ‘my parts’, save that and closed fritzing … but nothing changed: i can’t import this part …

Likely the user files have become corrupted. Here is how to fix it (although this will delete all your current parts in “mine” so make sure to keep a backup copy of the directories because they can probably be recovered if you don’t have a backup of the original files!) As noted below these files are not changed during a reinstall of the Fritzing code, so a reload won’t fix this. This is a little wrong as the parts data base is in the Fritzing code (at least now, and perhaps always) but it still works. It is also a wise idea to keep a known good copy of the directories for accidents like this.

"There are two user directories (with your parts and the parts database) which don’t get touched during an install (to not affect your sketches during upgrades). On Windows they are in

c:\users\username\AppData\Fritzing\roaming\Fritzing (which is a hidden directory so you need to enable hidden directories in explorer) and

c:\Users\username\My Documents\Fritzing (where username is your windows id)

If you don’t have any parts or sketches you want to keep you can just delete those two directories and Fritzing will recreate them, or you can move them aside by renaming them if you want to keep something in them.

linux

~/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

Mac

/Users/username/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing"

Peter

i will rename them each to ‘_Fritzing’ … reporting soon …

first overview:
super, can import the parts … no probs so far …
thanks a lot, peter …

Looks like you just got unlucky. I tried flipping the new part to see if it was causing an issue, but it seems to work fine for me without any crashes.

Peter

yes, but it seems that the fritzing 0.9.9 i have isn’t stable on win11. it’s not the first time, that i have some problems … but i have backuped my parts and my files, so the next error can come :wink:
many thanks, peter !