DROK Mini Buck Converter and ESP-01 Breakout Board

I created a couple of parts:

1. DROK Brand Mini DC-DC Buck Converter (I love these little powerhouses)
  2. ESP-01 Breakout Board (used for the ESP8266 ESP-01 module)

Amazon links in the README on Git

You can find them here

Mike Sims

I ran those parts through FritzingCheckPart. Here is a summary of what it reported, plus what manual inspection and quick testing noticed.

ESP-01 Breakout Board.fzpz

There is already an ESP01 board in the core parts library. Search for 8266. That one is using the 2x4, 0.1 in spacing header. From the lookup of it, your breakout board is header that an actual ESP01 (or other board with the same header) connects to. The breadout board part could be setup as a generic adapter. Here is a 2x3 header part I created. It is posted here somewhere, but I can not locate the post reference. I use 2 of these to put an ESP01 (or NRF24L01) module on a breadboard. No schematic or pcb view is needed.

2x3_100mil_header_to_300mil_dip_adapter.fzpz (3.3 KB)

If you do want to have the breakout board, and have the ESP01 schematic, you could directly reuse the schematic from the part library. That would get rid of all of the issues that FCP (and I) noticed for your schematic svg. It would just mean making sure the connector pin and terminal references in your part match the existing svg.

The connector pins in schematic svg are not on the standard 0.1 grid.

The “schematic” layerId specified in the fzp part definition does not exist in the matching svg image. This will “appear” to work in Fritzing, but exporting a sketch to an svg image will not include the part. The “schematic” id should be added to the first/outer wrapper group element.

The part definition shows terminalId attributes for connectors in the schematic view, which do not actually exist in schematic svg. If the terminalId is defined, a matching graphic element should exist in the svg.

The “breadboard” layerId specified in the fzp part definition does not exist in the matching svg image. This will “appear” to work in Fritzing, but exporting a sketch to an svg image will not include the part. The “breadboard” id should be added to the first/outer wrapper group element. The breadboard svg does NOT need the “silkscreen” or andy of the “copper” layer ids.

The first graphic element in the pcb svg file is not inside any group (layer). It is probably supposed to be the “silkscreen” layer. Currently the pcb does not have any silkscreen layer. There should be at least an outline, to show how much room on the pcb gets covered by part, where other parts (unless very low profile) can not be placed.

DROK Mini Voltage Reducer.fzpz

The part definition for connector3 does not have a terminalId for the schematic view. All other connector have a terminalId, and it should exist here too.

The part definition shows terminalId attributes for (other) connectors in the schematic view, which do not actually exist in schematic svg. If the terminalId is defined, a matching graphic element should exist in the svg.

The connector pins in schematic svg are not on the standard 0.1 grid.

Wires connected to the pins in the schematic view snap to the middle of the pin, instead of the end. Having correctly placed connector terminal elements would fix this.

The “breadboard” layerId specified in the fzp part definition does not exist in the matching svg image. This will “appear” to work in Fritzing, but exporting a sketch to an svg image will not include the part. The “breadboard” id should be added to the first/outer wrapper group element. The breadboard svg does NOT need the “silkscreen” or andy of the “copper” layer ids.

The first graphic elements in the pcb svg file are inside the “PCB” group (layer). That is not something that Fritzing recognizes… It is probably supposed to be the “silkscreen” layer. That should probably be “silkscreen”. Currently the pcb does not have any silkscreen layer. There should be at least an outline, to show how much room on the pcb gets covered by part, where other parts (unless very low profile) can not be placed.

If that “voltage reducer” is a fixed output voltage, there should be a property in the part definition to show that voltage. I do not see anything that would imply an adjustable output. Other properties, like maximum current, would be good to.