Do you pay everytime you download?

I bought this app about 1 week ago and now it has a new version, do I have to pay for every new version?

New version? The latest version is 0.9.4 released November 1, 2019. What did you download?

Version 0.9.5 is under development. It is not available for download (that I know of). To use that, you need to be able to build it from sources.

Thank you I tried to find my comment to delete it lol. I opened the app and saw the fact that it there was an update but paid no attention to the date lol. I did read another thread and figured out why they have people pay for it each time. Iā€™ve done some developers work before and I totally understand. Thanks for replying.

The ā€œeach timeā€ is a result of restarting the project with very limited resources in 2019. The website was very outdated, a rewrite attempt had failed a few years before. So the payment system from the legacy page had to be used.
Now that the infrastructure is renewed, all the one-time payments are upgraded to ā€˜proā€™ users (not yet sure if that will be the name. Imagine patreons, backers, or similiar), including downloads for possible re-installations and future updates for one year.

PS. No need to delete the comment, itā€™s quite a valid question. If we release a new version, I donā€™t want to show a paywall to users who had just paid a few months before. This is fixed by now, so one less blocker for the new release :slight_smile:

Hello,

Yes I think this is a very good question. Iā€™ve used Fritzing years ago for some small hobby projects. Wanted to take a look again on some of the designs Iā€™ve made back then, but saw that the application canā€™t be downloaded without paying any more.
I think it would be great if this would be explained in more detail on the download page. I donā€™t like the idea of paying for every download (thatā€™s what the page looks like), but paying for a year of downloading new versions plus the possibility to download later for re-installations sounds like a fair deal.

I searched for more information and found this topic on the forum, from more than three years ago. Can someone confirm that this is still valid? :slight_smile:

Unofficially yes (as Iā€™m not part of the development team.) With a donation, on the emailed receipt there is a download link that is active (presumably for a year) to allow downloads of new versions and reinstalls. To me it makes more sense to save a copy of the installer rather than depend on the download, but the choice is yours. Either one works. The donations have restarted development after around 5 years of no development (I was trying to get anyone interested in developing with no success for those 5 years) so it is a good thing despite all the complaining.

Peter

1 Like

Hello Peter,

Ok, thank you for your statement and explaination of the download link. Sounds like it is a good idea to save that link, right.

It is an even better idea to save a copy of the installer as that will still work long after the link no longer does ā€¦

Peter