Custom Part Help - Did I Do This Right?

Hi All!

Following various posts on this forum, and one external instructables post, I created a custom Power Connector using InkScape. This is my second attempt. I placed the first attempt on a board and had it ordered, and managed to short the power and ground terminals of the battery! I am still unaware of how that error occurred, but, needless to say, I do not want it to happen again. So if any of you experts out there could let me know if I have done anything wrong with this iteration, it would be greatly appreciated.

Power_Connect3

The picture looks good but to know if the part is usable you would need to export the part from fritzing and then upload the fzpz file for someone to look at.

Actually the svg appears to be wrong … The pads are in group copper1 not copper0, copper0 is empty. I’m not sure what Fritzing will do with this but I bet it won’t produce a proper gerber. There are also no connectors, the pads are listed as pathxxx not connector0pin and connector1pin as they should be (although as long as the fzp file agrees fritzing probably won’t care). I’ll try substituting the pcb svg in to a 2 pin generic header and see what it produces.

Edit: Changing the two pad ids to connector0pin and connector1pin (to match the 2 pin header fzp file) Fritzing generates two pads on copper1 (the top layer) nothing
on the bottom layer and no hole. Fixing the layers doesn’t help as the path apparently isn’t in the correct format to generate a hole (although I don’t use them, I have seen paths that will generate a proper pad). So on to the standard circle sized to match the diameter of your pad with a standard 2o thou stroke width (as I don’t know the hole size you want, this produces a 0.049692in hole)

tst.fzpz (4.4 KB)

and the pcb svg (you need to right click it and “save as” to get the svg file back or unzip it from the part above).

prefix0000_b2660764d992146bae41cfbab1193574_1_pcb

Peter

Thank you for your quick replies!

I placed the pads in layer “copper0” which in turn I placed into layer “copper1” and changed the id’s from pathxxx to connector1pin and connector2pin.