Change Hole Size

I had a PCB made that I designed using Fritzing. The hole sizes for standard through hole resistors and TO92 transistors are huge. For version 2 of my board, I would like to shrink the hole sized on these parts to 0.7mm, but I dont know how?? My resistor is pin spacing is 300mill.

If the part doesn’t have provision to change the hole size in Inspector - most don’t -, so it’s either manually change the holes in the part svg and re-import that svg in a new part, or place a resized header pin or hole on each pad and remove the part.

I’m creating a board with specific shape and connectors location. For the connectors, I would like to allow choosing the size of the hole and of the ring.

How do you provision to change hole size in a part ?

Unfortunately you have to change the part svg and recreate the part. For a parts factory created part (such as a .1in header) you can change the hole size via Inspector, but that is done by code in Fritzing and isn’t available in parts. You can put a place holder on silkscreen then drag either a hole or more likely a via part (a hole I don’t think will accept connections, a via will) and modify that via inspector. Otherwise you would need to create parts for each hole size combination you want.

Peter

@vanepp
Thanks Peter. Maybe that’s something we could add to the wish list for Fritzing. Something like specific “metadata” in the fzp file or typing properties but by experience that become quickly non-understandable.

There are lots of improvements I’d like to make, but understanding the code to do them is difficult. I’d like to see us create an api so fields in inspector could be added without having to change the code, but there are a lot of bugs to get fixed first.

Peter

1 Like