Can't open ANY Fritzing file, zip.open(): %d error

Steps I took that resulted in the problem:

Installed Fritzing 64 Bits on W10 System

Attempts to open practically any Fritzing result in a “Can’t open component path/file, zip.open(): %d” Error (translating from German.

This happens whenever the files are stored, on the Desktop, in the Fritzing folder in Documents, i a new folder directly on C:\ . Happens with “official” files from github repositories and other files.

Fritzing has been reinstalled, de-installed and re-installed, Problem persists

What I expected should have happened instead:

… Open a file without errors. Sorry, don’t want to sound snarky, but this is some kind of basic functionality that I was kind of expecting. If I am doing something wrong, then a better Error Message would be useful.

My version of Fritzing and my operating system:

Fritzing 0.9.10 / Windows 10 64 Bit Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045

Thanks for any help, it is really appreciated

Cheers

What Fritzing version are you using (the current version is 0.9.10)? Is this a new install? If so doing this (noting that it will delete anything in your mine parts bin!) may help. Normally .fzpz files open without problem on Win10.

There are two user directories (with your parts and the parts database) which don’t get touched during an install (to not affect your sketches during upgrades). On Windows they are in

c:\users\username\AppData\Fritzing\roaming\Fritzing (which is a hidden directory so you need to enable hidden directories in explorer) and

c:\Users\username\My Documents\Fritzing (where username is your windows id)

If you don’t have any parts or sketches you want to keep you can just delete those two directories and Fritzing will recreate them, or you can move them aside by renaming them if you want to keep something in them.

linux

~/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

Mac

/Users/username/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

Peter

1 Like

Thanks, this solved it. I deleted the AppData Folders and reinstalled Fritzing.
I still don’t understand how/why the files got corrupted and why this blocked everything else.
Oh, and uninstall show give you the option to really remove everything :wink:

Again, your kind and prompt help is really appreaciated.

That is possible but somewhat dangerous in that it will remove all the user’s parts. This used to be a common problem in the days of 0.9.3b when you interrupted the parts database update from github. Since 0.9.6 or later the parts update has been disabled and this hasn’t been a problem for the last couple of years. If you are still running 0.9.3b upgrading to the latest version (currently 0.9.10 I believe) is highly recommended because a lot of bug fixes have been done.

Peter