Can't install v1.0.1 on Windows 10 64 Bit

I have the Beta version on my machine but now need to do some more serious play so I bought and downloaded the 1.0.1 version, but cannot get it to install on my Windows 10, 64 Bit machine. I have restarted the computer and tried installing it from the Admin account. It keeps stopping during the C++ install and I get an error message that the installation has stopped prematurely and my machine has not been modified. Suggestions?

Don’t know because it installs fine for me on Win10 64 but here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Try deleting the user files in case you have something corrupted in there. If they aren’t there Fritzing will create them. Make sure you aren’t trying to install on Onedrive, that has been known to screw up.

There are two user directories (with your parts and the parts database) which don’t get touched during an install (to not affect your sketches during upgrades). On Windows they are in

c:\users\username\AppData\Fritzing\roaming\Fritzing (which is a hidden directory so you need to enable hidden directories in explorer) and

c:\Users\username\My Documents\Fritzing (where username is your windows id)

If you don’t have any parts or sketches you want to keep you can just delete those two directories and Fritzing will recreate them, or you can move them aside by renaming them if you want to keep something in them.

linux

~/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

Mac

/Users/username/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

1. run the installer with the debug log enabled and make a report on github. The first line is where the debug log is mentioned

and the command to start it (from that thread) is this:

msiexec /i “C:\MyPackage\Example.msi” /L*V “C:\log\example.log”

The debug log should allow the developers on github to assist.

Peter

Peter,
Thanks for your informative reply. I was able to install 1.0.1 and your note gave me the clue. The solution won’t be helpful to others, I fear. When I looked at where you said the files should be fournd I realized that I don’t have a “My Documents” folder. Long ago for reasons I can’t clearly remember, I renamed it “Documents”. I assumed the installer could not find the My Documents folder and aborted. I changed the folder back to My Documents, restarted the computer and then Fritzing installed without incident. Best Regards,
Dennis