Can't drag any parts

Steps I took that resulted in the problem:

I’m unable to drag any parts within the application. This includes from the palette and also inside of loaded examples. I can create and drag wires, but no parts. When I attempt to drag parts, I get the icon that indicates no drop.

What I expected should have happened instead:

Parts can be drag/dropped.

My version of Fritzing and my operating system:

Fritzing - AppImage (paid for)
Version 0.9.10
(bCD-2134-0-40d23c29 2022-07-01) 64 [Qt 5.15.2]

Ubuntu 23.04 - Running Wayland
Linux XPS-15-9500 6.2.0-20-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Apr 6 07:48:48 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Please also attach any files that help explaining this problem

Check this link:

Bummer. I was afraid it was Wayland related. I will do some more digging.

There is a solution which involves compiling from source and installing the program that is affecting things, but it would depend on you being comfortable with doing that (which isn’t likely to be that easy if you haven’t done it before.) It is listed in the github post as I recall, it may also be in here there are a few threads about this problem here too.

Peter

The easy solution is to install xfce xfce with your packet manager and then choose Xfce in the login screen. See link above.

Is it true that older versions of Fritzing work ok (for some reason)? I think I’d installed an earlier version from Flathub that seemed to be working. What would I be missing in Fritzing if I took that route temporarily. I did see the conversation around Mutter compilation, which I may try… I’m not afraid to try it, but just trying to decide how much effort I want to expend knowing that a fix will be coming eventually.

Mostly bug fixes in gerber generation (the last of which I think came in 0.9.10) so as long as you verify your gerber output with a gerber viewer before ordering boards (which you should always do anyway!) you should be fine. There may be some other bug fixes (probably are in fact!) but the gerber stuff has been the most notable.

Peter

Thanks. For now, I’ve dropped back to the version in Flathub. I will keep an eye out for the Mutter fix.