Cannot use integration of arduino ide

Hi,
I am new to Fritzing. It looks very nice and its handling seems to be easy to learn. But I am unable to integrate arduino ide. I always get error message:

################################################
Running /usr/bin/arduino --board arduino:avr:uno --port /dev/ttyACM0 --upload /home/andreas/.config/Fritzing/fzz/ebd9f657aca7fcef8097674acc74c3a9/Blink_TMP/Blink_TMP.ino
Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS:

Konfiguration wird geladen…

Pakete werden initialisiert…

WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.util.ClassUtil (file:/usr/share/arduino/lib/jackson-databind-2.9.5.jar) to constructor java.util.Optional()
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.util.ClassUtil
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

Boards werden vorbereitet…

Fehler: arduino: Unbekanntes Paket

Hochladen fehlgeschlagen mit Fehlercode 3, 0
################################################

Same error occurs when running the commandline outside of Fritzing so there are two possibilities:

1. command line syntax wrong for newest Arduino version
  2. missing packages (but what packages?)
    Arduino IDE is running fine when started as application. I am using Arduino 1.8.9 and Fritzing 0.9.4 on Arch Linux. Any ideas?

Additional information:
Java error was caused by Java bug - fixed by switching to Java-13. But “Error: arduino: unmknown package” is still unsolved.

Regards
Andreas

Welcome to Fritzing! Unfortunately parts of Fritzing were not finished when development stopped (it is now, we hope, restarting!) This is one of the things that wasn’t finished (actually because the Arduino IDE at the time didn’t have command line interfaces which it does now.) This function only works for the Pikaxe parts, so you need to load the Arduino code from the Arduino IDE itself. There has been discussion in the past (although not with the new developers yet) about removing this as not being all that useful and a drain on developer time keeping up with IDE changes. To change the Arduino code, you need to use the Arduino IDE anyway (the Fritzing function only loads the binary), so you may as well load it from there as well. Fixing it would need a source code change and a new release (which hasn’t happened yet) so the current work around is to load from the Arduino IDE.

Peter

Thanks Peter for your information. I am nearly sure this can be fixed within one or to additions to fritzing code line where the command line is build… I would participate and add my help - but I cannot find the place where fritzing has its community versioning system (GitHub…) Please can you point me to that?

I am working as a semi professional teacher for electronics and amateur radio at an German “Oberschule” and Fritzing is a very nice project and helps much to bring electronics and Maker ideas to youg persons…

Andreas

My “old problem”: first digging the web and then question… I git the github “fritzing.app”.

At my first try I installed fritzing on my “Siduction” system (based on Debian experimental) and surprise, surprise: Arduino integration is working there!!! Now I will start investigation what makes that difference between Arch and Debian experimental (both “bleeding edge” distros).

Andreas

I’m surprised it works at all! My understanding from a couple of years ago, is that it was waiting for the Arduino IDE to support the command line interface. Perhaps the code was in Fritzing, and just needed the Arduino IDE to catch up. It would be even better if you would like to help with development (as you have probably seen, it needs all the help it can get :slight_smile: .) There are instructions for building Linux (fairly easy) and Windows (harder) but not the Mac (because I don’t have one) here:

“Easy” doesn’t mean not time consuming, the QT install alone is good for about an 8 hour download on my adsl line (usually a couple of times on Windows til I get the compiler installation correct) and the code base is complex, but it can be done. With a release scheduled, it is also worth doing, because pull requests against the code base on github are being accepted and merged in to the code base for the release (which hasn’t happened since 2016)

Peter

I can confirm that the issue was not related to Fritzing but to Arch Linux. For those who run into same problems:

1. give user access rights to the interface:
    sudo gpasswd -a USERNAME uucp

2. set working java as default:
    sudo archlinux-java set java-13-openjdk

3. and at last correct silly hardware folder by creating a symlink:
    sudo ln -s /usr/share/arduino/hardware/archlinux-arduino /usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino

Now Fritzing Arduino integration works like a charm on Arch Linux.

Regards
Andreas

Thanks for the update! I’ll have to see about trying this on Windows to see if I have been giving out bad advise about it not working. I guess maybe the commands for the Arduino IDE may have been documented but not implemented yet when the code was written and I never though to just try it.

Peter

I think you swap “documented” and “implemented” :slight_smile: …and I see it same way. All is working completely. You can edit the code in the “code tab” and compile/upload without leaving Fritzing. Yesterda all pupils worked with Fritzing successfully. A very nice tool for learning electronics! I will contribute in future. I must not download anything because the libraries and/or tools I need to build Fritzing are all present on my development machine…

Regards
Andreas

I’m learning more and more :slight_smile: , I had always understood that this function would only load the code, that you had to start the Arduino IDE to change code, when it sounds like the integration is complete. That makes this function much more useful! If you are building from source, as it sounds like, bug fixes would be an even more valuable contribution than a donation I expect. Pretty much all of the development team have moved on leaving us with very few people able to make bug fixes or enhancements.

Peter

I must learn, too. Actually I am contributing to embedded systems projects, php and Arduino (ESP32). But I see Fritzing in education purposes - which is a high priority aim in my life. So I will start contributing in the future.

Andreas