(beginner) help with nodeMCU / ESPHome multisensor

Hi everybody,

I am currently trying to create a multi sensor on a nodeMCU (HW-625) running ESPHome. I had attempted this before, but eventually decided I’d start from scratch.

The device is currently powered via USB, but this can still be changed (if I need to, please tell me).

I want at least these sensors to be connected simultanesouly

• PIR Sensor (binary input)
  • DS18B20 (dallas) OR bme280 (I2C)
  • 2x door reed sensor (binary input)
  • 1-2x push button (binary input)
  • TEMT6000 (ADC)¹
  • MCP23017 (I2C) (hardware: CJMCU-2317)
  • 4x regular LED

¹ I want to use the TEMT6000 in most projects, but some will have another ADC component there (vibration sensor).

The previous hardware setup I had worked fine; unfortunately, after I ordered PCBs for this, there were two issues:

• while the PCBs were meant to hold nodeMcu V3 CH340G), I must have downloaded a wrong template, as they did not fit and I had to use nodeMcu CP2102s, which are a bit more narrow and did fit=
  • once I connected the CP2102, nothing worked; I don’t know if this is due to the board itself, due to incorrect production (or design!) of the PCB, or insufficient power supply

I am currently connecting sensor after sensor, adding the software configuration, and am testing this step by step, but am already having issues.

When trying to flash, I have to disconnect VV and G (providing energy to the sensors), otherwise it will not flash. So either they are drawing too much energy already, or I cannot use them with this board - if so, which ones should I then use? VINand G did not work, and 3V and G only work for 3.3V sensors.

Considering that I have not even connected the MCP23017, I assume that I cannot use USB to power the board? If this is the case, what would be the best way to power it? I have some nodeMCU dev boards (from Aliexpress), that allow connecting 12V, plugging in the nodeMCU board, and powering it. I assume the dev board regulates power so that the nodeMCU only receives 5V; how could I do this on my own without using the dev board (it is pretty huge and I don’t need all the extra pins etc. that it offers, so I’d prefer a smaller DIY version of it).

Thank you for your ideas :slight_smile: