Advice on new parts - male and female connectors; flexible wires

Hi,
I am new to Fritzing and I am creating new parts (using SVG and parts editor) for some Arduino shields and other robot components, mostly for use in breadboard view.
My first question is: I have a number of header through connectors involved. I have noticed that the connectors on Arduino shields are inconsistent even on core parts. How do I best create the pins of a stacking shield, i.e. a connector that has a male pin underneath that will plug in to the board below linked to a female socket that other components above can plug into,
My second question is: I have a servo with a three pin female crimp housing connector and long wires. How can I best make this so that the wire is flexible and the connector will plug onto male header pins? I am willing to edit the raw fpz xml if need be.

Hi sgparry0507,

One size don’t fit all… I suppose it would be nice to replicate the real world by stacking the shields but in Fritzing it would just make things more complicated. If the shields could be stacked and the pins connected, it would create a birds nest of air wires in both the Schematic and PCB Views as all the pins would be connected… even the ones you don’t use. You would also have a duplicate a set of female pins as male pins in both the Schematic and PCB .svg files, you would need to figure out what to do with them.

I think the best way to handle this would be to connect the pins that you are going to use with wires then slide shield over the top of Arduino board.

As for the flexible wires; Save a resistor in My Parts, then open the BB .svg, the flexible wires are labeled, id=“connector0leg” and id=“connector1leg”. Then open the resistor .fzp, in the breadboard view you will see the elements, legId=“connector0leg” and legId=“connector1leg”. Just add these to your parts, a little experimenting and you should have this down to a science. The flexible legs are invisible in the parts editor.

1 Like

Thanks, I will give that a try.

You can also stack the shields first, click on the pin and drag the wire out then back to the same pin. If the wire turns blue, they are connected.

To connect other wires to the shield, you will need to drag the wire from the other device first then to the shield, other wise, you could just drag the wire off the shield.

If you are trying to connect two male pins that won’t connect, you can connect them by dragging a jumper wire between them. Wires connect to both male and female pins…