0.9.4 Released!

It appears 0.9.4 has been released. When I started Fritzing to look over Alan’s parts, it announced that 0.9.4 is available. I downloaded it and installed in Win7 and at a brief test all appears well (I was already running the prerelease so for me no big change.) Great news for Fritzing! Congrats folks!

Peter

3 Likes

This is great news :slight_smile: I just came across a forum post from a few years ago, asking “Is Fritzing dead”, to which the answer was essentially “yes”. It would be awesome to hear that this is not the case - can you please advise on the status? It looks like it is very much alive to me!

Yes it has so far come back to life thanks to the folks at Aisler (the Fritzing fab.) Their CTO arranged for a development team to get started and they got the 0.9.4 release our last December (just as Fritzing was starting to die from too old libraries.) Keeping Fritzing going is probably going to depend on donations (which is causing a lot of controversy!) as the code base is too complex to be developed by volunteer labour and the way forward is seen as hiring professional developers. I would say that is correct because even with development restarted, there are almost no pull requests from the community (and I have worked on the source code, and it is complex!) but the future looks brighter than it did.

Peter

2 Likes

What’s the difference between 0.9.3 Vs 0.9.4, ie, is it the same just with bug fixes.

Can you have 0.9.4 and 0.9.3 on the same PC and start which ever you want, or does it overwrite 0.9.3.

Bug fixes mostly. See change history for details.

Whether you can have both versions on the same PC or not will depend on how it is installed. On linux (Fedora, Ubuntu, others) it is possible several ways. A ‘system’ install though would wipe out the previous version.

A quick look at the contents of the Windows zip file shows that it unpacks to a version specific folder name containing everything needed. Just open (or run from cli), with no “install” needed. It looks like that will work just fine beside an older version. Mostly likely sharing the same configuration file. It does have its own parts library, so that only be shared if the configuration file points to it.

Given my understanding of the way the parts library and sketch folders are accessed, the old configuration file might confuse the new version about where to look for some files. Backup the existing configuration and your own parts before trying. My guess is that the best way would be to deleted the old configuration (not parts), run the new version, exit, then run the older version. That way the newest version gets to create a clean configuration, which the older version should still be happy with.

I was thinking of making more advanced user tutorial video, because people on the forum keep posting the same problems, but I don’t really do electronics anymore so only have 0.9.3, ie, I don’t design anything anymore. If I get motivated enough I’ll probably use 0.9.3 :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks

wow,

now it’s 0.9.6! congrads

Good to see there is progress :slight_smile: