Raspberry Pi Zero Fritzing Part

Thatā€™s odd. I just downloaded the file I uploaded (to make sure I had uploaded the correct one last night :slight_smile: ) and cleared my gerber directory to make sure no old files in there, then loaded Raspberry Pi Zero_fixed.fzpz and created gerbers. They look fine in my local copy of gerbv. I zipped the directory of gerbers and renamed it to fzpz (so it isnā€™t a real part :slight_smile: just unzip it) and uploaded them. Iā€™m on Win7 although that shouldnā€™t make a difference. This part has been so strange its possible there is yet another problem still here though. The pcb file is the one from the pi 3 which of course may have problems too. Iā€™ll poke at it more, there are a few more things that should be corrected before submitting a correction for core (I am going to try and figure out how it breaks pcb anyway, just because I want to know, I think that may be a fritzing bug).

gerber.fzpz (18.3 KB)

Peter

Yeah, I was wondering why someone wouldnā€™t have just copied the part of the old pi file that works, onto the new svg. Seems like that is the easy way to go.

I think the underlying problem is a fritzing bug of some kind. I havenā€™t seen anything in the original file (other than it doesnā€™t work :slight_smile: ) that looks wrong, it may not be optimal but it should have worked fine and doesnā€™t.

Peter

Why not just use the 40 pin header part and draw the silk screen footprint around it. For PCB purposes that is all you need for production to begin right?

Thatā€™s essentially what was done in both cases. Part of the difficulty is that dual row header generation isnā€™t currently working so we have to find another source (I used the pi 3) and then draw the silkscreen around that. Initially that didnā€™t work because something in breadboard managed to change the scaling in pcb.

Peter

Yeah it does that thing where it duplicates pads and offsets them, like it did with my TO220, when you change it in Inspector to ā€œbottomā€

Never found the problem so I just started again.

Thanks, that reproduces it for me as well. Iā€™ll have a poke at it and see if I can figure out whats going wrong (since a generic connector doesnā€™t do that).

Peter

In my opinion the schematic sucks! So I re did it. Now the pins in schematic match the pins in breadboard, the power pins have moved to their position on the GPIO connector (rather than stacked on top of each other which may cause routing problems). I took the pin numbers from the RPI site and the names from https://pinout.xyz/pinout/pin36_gpio16 which the RPI site refers to (if there are more preferred names please post, as Iā€™m not really a big RPI person). The big change is that the right hand side used to be backwards (i.e. the top pin on the GPIO connector was on the bottom in schematic). That has been corrected so schematic matches breadboard and the GPIO connector. This means this version will be incompatible with all the other RPI schematics currently in core but I think its better (I guess we will see what others think!). There are still issues (this is only a new schematic everything else is the same) but you may want to switch to this schematic. Meanwhile I will continue poking at the various issues I know of (routing is odd with the power pins, pcb reacts incorrectly when the module it on the bottom, and breadboard breaking pcb is still a mystery).

See: Raspberry Pi Zero Fritzing Part

Peter

And another one bites the dust! The problem with the offset pads in pcb turns out to be a damn translate in copper0 that wasnā€™t in copper1. Getting rid of the translate fixes the problem when the zero is set to bottom of the board.

See: Raspberry Pi Zero Fritzing Part

edit: The original part has incorrect spacing in the pcb svg. I must have copied (or not copied over) that file when I thought my new version didnā€™t work last night because now the version that I had marked as broken works fine with the latest svg files.

Peter

I love that you numbered the pins in the schematic view also. Much easier to connect. You deserve a medal for this.

Self interest :slight_smile: I have a zero sitting on the desk beside my keyboard, and I wanted a better schematic so everybody wins. Iā€™ll probably ask in parts-help what has been done in the past with incompatible changes (as if it just changes in core I think existing sketches will break but there must be a way around that, then Iā€™ll try and get the core part(s) (probably for all the RPIs) to be updated.

Peter

Thatā€™s a hard one because FZ will tell you there is an updated part, and if you switch it all the connects in SCH will be labeled differently. If you donā€™t update it will stay with the old one.

Iā€™m hoping there is a happy medium somewhere, such as rename the new parts so they can co exist or mark the original ones as obsolete (which there is a directory of) so old sketches will get the old parts unless updated but new sketches will get the new ones. I expect this has happened before and someone probably has a solution that works, because Iā€™d like to see the parts work better without breaking all the old sketches or forcing an update if you donā€™t want to make one.

Peter

Thank you very much for the updated+fixed part! Exactly what I needed, and seems to work so far :slight_smile: Much appreciated.

I donā€™t seem to be able to edit this thread anymore (to delete the original copy of this part) so Iā€™ll just post this new one. Someone complained about the bad part in core on github and I pointed him here for a corrected version. As part of that, I ran this through my parts check script which found a variety of errors that I had missed (incorrect breadboard layerIds, terminals in breadboard fzp but not the svg, pcb coppers in the wrong order, hole size .040 rather than 0.038). So I corrected all of those and cut a corrected part to replace the one above (same moduleId so they wonā€™t coexist though). You should use this one from now on.

Raspberry Pi Zero_pcb_fixed_new_schem.fzpz (39.8 KB)

Peter

1 Like

Do you want all the old ones deleted? You have three different ones previously.

Sure, that would be good. The last one should be the most correct one. Thanks!

Peter

Done. I replaced them with links to your last post.

Now the latest round in this interesting saga: a new part that I intend to submit for inclusion in core (and then follow up by changing all the rest of the PI parts to match it). This version has lots of changes, many internal and not user visible (such as the scale of all the svgs has been changed to the recommended 1 px = 1 thousandth of an inch). As well it makes it through the part checking script without any warnings (as it should). The GPIO pins have been changed to match the numbering and labels used on the PI site (which will break all previous parts as the internal pin numbers have changed) and as in the previous version the connector in pcb has been changed from 2mm to the correct .1 spacing. If you are interested in the PIs please have a look at this part and point out anything you donā€™t like about it. If there are no complaints Iā€™ll arrange to submit it to replace the one currently in core and work on doing all the rest of them as well. This is a new part so it will coexist with the previous version posted above so you can see that changes that have been made.

Raspberry Pi Zero.fzpz (39.7 KB)

Peter

2 Likes