Obsolete part error with new part I created

Well I get an obsolete part error with new part I created. I want to change that status somewhere in the XML I imagine. I guess I started with an obsolete part perhaps and still got it after I created a new part. It’s a simple part and shouldn’t be too much to fix when I find out why this is going on.

If you created it from an existing part without running it through parts editor and saving as a new part (to get a new moduleId), then you need to change the moduleId (first line in the fzp file) to something else that doesn’t conflict. There is a standard that is used to generate them internally (based on a date stamp I think) uniquely but in practice it will accept pretty much anything that is unique.

Peter

Well , I just kept redoing it with different core-parts until I got a copy that stopped getting flagged as obsolete.
Now I am just at the point of cleaning up extra copies that got created while working through the process of making new parts. I

I cannot delete these duplicates as the remove button is greyed out. When I removed other older part version’s svg’s from various folders that they got created in, I got some error messages when loading in projects into Fritzing. They were saying they couldn’t find the files needed for the (older?) parts. So I want to clean all this mess up and remove the older unused versions without getting error messages. Well ,I can’t seem to be able to get rid of them in the first place since the remove is greyed out. I took the outdated parts out of the bins and Mybin now only holds the current version of my created parts. But I can search under my name and still find references to them as shown in the picture. How do I get rid of all these unwanted files?

My usual method is to save copies (via exporting the part as an fzpz file via right click on the part in the mine parts bin and selecting export) then clear the user directories as for database corruption. Fritzing will recreate the directories when it restarts. I find it a good practice to keep a backup copy of created parts outside of Fritzing since a variety of thinss (such as loading corrupted parts) can corrupt the database due to bugs.

There are two user directories (with your parts and the parts database) which don’t get touched during an install (to not affect your sketchs during upgrades). On Windows they are in

c:\users\username\AppData\Fritzing\roaming\Fritzing (which is a hidden directory so you need to enable hidden directories in explorer) and

c:\Users\username\My Documents\Fritzing (where username is your windows id)

If you don’t have any parts or sketches you want to keep you can just delete those two directories and Fritzing will receate them, or you can move them aside by renaming them if you wan to keep something in them.

linux

~/Documents/Fritzing/parts
~/.config/Fritzing

Peter

Ok I will try exporting all the good versions and then I can delete the two Linux folders you mentioned and it will recreate them for me. I hope it also clears up the messages that get flagged on startup of a project. I can also uninstall and reinstall fritzing but prefer finding out what what else is needed to be done for proper parts creation. :slight_smile:

Worked like a charm by the way…