DDS AD9850 with Nano

Hi I am using a DDS AD9850 module with an Arduino Nano and trying to mount it on a PCB and have a fritzing part I found in another project however it is missing various elements from the .svg I am looking for someone to edit the .svg for me and to add the top layer copper pads on all pins with through hole plating.
I have tried to do this on the new parts editor but am unable to complete this. To put this in context i learned my electronics back in 1969, I have been trying to keep up but this one seems
beyond me, any help of any nature would be much appreciated.

If you upload the part you have (the fzpz file, upload is 7th icon from the left in the reply menu) I’ll fix it up for you. If you got the part from a project, it is likely in the temp parts bin, in which case right clicking on the AD9850 part in the temp parts bin and selecting export part will write a .fzpz file to your local file system. Parts making is a complex process until you get used to it, so it is usually easier for one of us that is familiar with it to fix (or make) parts for you.

Peter

Hi Peter,
many thanks in anticipation.
here is the part as I have itDDS AD9850.fzpz (47.9 KB)
Your assistance is most appreciated, Felix suggest that the forum was the place i would find the solution to my problem, I did not accept such a fast response.

Donald

OK, I have good news and bad news (luckily they are the same :slight_smile: ). I have a couple of these boards, and so am interested in a part ready to go in to core parts. The bad news is, that isn’t the original part. This part is based on it but due to the problems in the original part, it isn’t a direct replacement. You will need to delete the current part and modify the wiring somewhat to match that of the new part (schematic has changed substantially, and the size of breadboard and pcb were both incorrect.) This part has been tested as far as generating valid gerber files with traces on both sides of the board, although I haven’t cut boards from it yet. It has a new moduleId so you can load it along side the current part in your sketch to see what kind of changes will be needed. As is usual practice on boards in core, the text has been removed from pcb (if you want text on the silkscreen you can add it to your sketch) and the mounting holes are only on silkscreen, if you want the mounting holes drilled in your board you need to drag a hole from the pcb section of core parts in to pcb view, use inspector to set its diameter to 2.8mm and then place it on top of the hole in silkscreen to actually drill the hole. If someone doesn’t want mounting holes and they are in the part, then they have to modify the part to remove the mounting holes. This way gives the user a choice without having to modify the part (same with text.)

DDS AD9850-fixed.fzpz (29.7 KB)

Peter

Hi Peter
many thanks have downloaded and will try to use tomorrow. I am going to use the Fab service to get a set of initial boards cut will let you Know how it goes.
Kind regards Donald

Make sure to print out a copy of the pcb and check that the parts fit correctly before ordering boards. It should be fine, but checking is a good bet.

Peter

Hi Peter’

Just ordered boards using the FAB service the print out of the rendering looks really good and I hope these prototypes work out.

One strange issue is that the Nano is on the top layer and the dds is on the bottom layer i cannot get both components to view mounted on the top layer, for the prototype work I can live with that as all coppers are intact and where they should, and physical location is ok in terms of space .

For the finished units it would be nice to get the issue sorted and save space. If you need more info on the issue please advise, or if there is a simple fix I have missed?

Once more thank you for all your help.

Donald

If I understand correctly, the DDS part is appearing on the bottom of the board. By default (I just tried it) it is on the top as it should be. The likely problem is that it has been moved to the bottom of the board probably by accidentally clicking on the bottom in Inspector. If you click on the DDS part in pcb view and look at Inspector (the bottom right window) the first line pcb layer should say top. If it says bottom instead just click on the bottom and a select menu will come up. Changing it to top will move the part to the top of the board. If that isn’t it upload the .fzz file from the sketch and I’ll take a look.

Peter

Humble apologies for not responding ordered 250 of the boards as they were am about to amend the layout as you suggest for the next batch which we will need in january thanks for all your help the products are going well.

Donald