Adding a library on fritzing

How can i add the i2c library to fritzing
i need an i2c lcd but its not among the parts

1 Like

You will have to locate the desired part library on-line ( partname.fzpz ) and download it to your PC. Then in Fritzing, select “Mine” My Parts, you can then use the menu icon in the top right or right click on a blank area in the My Parts palette. Select import, browse for the part (where you downloaded it) on your PC, select it and click open to install the part. It should then be available, but make sure you also choose to save the part and your bin when you exit Fritzing.

I have a 20x4 LCD-I2C part in this forum ( LCD2004-I2C.fzpz ) pending approval for inclusion, the link to the original 16x2 LCD-I2C ( LCD1602-I2C.fzpz ) and the link to my part are below:

Here is the link to the 16x2 LCD-I2C part:
http://forum.fritzing.org/uploads/default/original/2X/7/70f90addd7883759e4a0d06a934946c2be8aa6c1.fzpz

Here is the link to my modified 20x4 LCD-I2C part:
http://forum.fritzing.org/uploads/default/original/2X/3/396ac45a9caa834358c9439a959ef2a6203c7a2d.fzpz

If it is only in this forum, then it won’t make it in to core parts. To make it in to core parts these days it needs to be submitted as a pull request on github, posting it here no longer gets it included in core parts.

Peter

Peter,

I think that the web page http://fritzing.org/parts/ should be updated to reflect this information as it still states that posting them in this forum will result in: “We will then try to incorporate your part in the next release. In the meantime, other users can download it from there”.

Ken

Probably true, as that has not happened in the last couple of years. Unfortunately Fritzing is dying due to lack of people willing or able to help keep it alive (development for instance has stopped, although I have been trying to revive it for some time now with little success). Documentation is also not being updated. Parts update has been one of the few bright spots though, making pull requests on github (although there are also not that many of them, me included) do still get made. You might try opening an issue on github requesting that change.

Peter

I wonder if anyone has considered approaching Adafruit with regard to taking over or assisting in the development/maintenance of Fritzing. They have created a lot of parts for the product that can be downloaded and they already have people doing development (Arduino sketches, etc). Fritzing is a great tool and deserves to have a long life…

Yes. They say they don’t have the resources to help. There is a long discussion on the gitub fritzing application issues section where that came up here:

at this point discussion has died off for a number of weeks with no apparent forward progress of a tangible nature (other than the ongoing project to convert Fritzing to Javascript which was proceeding before that discussion started). My experience over the last several years is that there is interest in talking but no apparent action towards doing anything practical. The development environment other than on linux is very difficult to bring up and very poorly documented. I am (and have been for several years) working on changing that but progress is slow and as far as I am aware no one else is interested in helping. Without being able to arrange a new release (which in turn requires some progress to release) Fritzing will die if by nothing else than the interfaces it depends on becoming obsolete and no longer supported. This has already happened on Windows 7, automatic up date hasn’t worked for around a year now because the protocol Win7 is using is no longer supported by github. I believe it is only a matter of time before some other library or protocol being retired will kill Fritzing if we can’t make updates. It is unclear, assuming I could generate an update, if a release could or would be made but the situation is chicken and egg. At present as far as I know, no one has an environment running that could generate a release and there is currently no way to publish such a release for testing which would be a necessary precondition to a release. I believe we need to get to a position of having something useful to release to find out if a new release is possible. I am not there yet. I have dev environments for Windows and Linux running (but not yet documented), the Mac hasn’t even been started as I don’t at present have a Mac.

Peter